Question Chicco KeyFit 30 Baseless Install vs. Aton 2/Q

JBW

Hey all, I'm hoping to get some feedback from a tech.

Baby #2 is coming in August and I'm considering getting a new infant carrier. I already have a Chicco KeyFit 30 (and two bases), that are usable, but I'm considering the Aton 2 (or Q).

I've been reading the Car Seat Lady's blog, and I'm think she's swaying me. I'm rather concerned about her post in April, in response to the Consumer Reports' infant seats ratings. She says that it's difficult to get a proper baseless install of the KeyFit 30 in most cars. Can someone comment on this?

The new baby will be swapped between four cars throughout the week. (Hooray for nearby grandparents willing to care for my child.) But, this will mean that I'll want to have an easy and effective baseless install.

The Car Seat Lady recommends the Aton 2 or Q, among others, for the European routed baseless install. I think I've decided I'd go with the Aton 2 (if I buy a new one) because of the LSP and the size (I drive a 2004 Corolla).

But is a new seat necessary?

My original plan was this (all would be installed outboard, behind the passenger seat, with my 4 yo FF Radian center, provided the this allows for the passenger seat to accommodate and average sized adult):

- baseless install in my Corolla
- baseless install in either my mother's 2011 Altima or my husband's 2005 Grand Cherokee, depending on who can get a more reliable fit (although my mother will probably be doing the most in & out of the car during the week, so I'd love to give her the base)
- base install the either my mother's or husband's car
- base install in my mother-in-law's 2012 Grand Cherokee (I don't trust that she'll get a good fit without a base, no matter how easy it is)

Granted, I could buy another Keyfit 30 base (or two) for less than I'd spend on a new Aton, but I think I'd prefer the space saved by a baseless install in my Corolla. Also, with the baby outboard, perhaps it's worth springing for the added LSP the Aton 2 provides.

Feedback from techs, or those with experience using the baseless install with the Keyfit and Aton would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ADS

featherhead

I have never had a problem installing the Keyfit baseless. Though it is also super easy to move the base. Sometimes I moved the base, if I was going to be in and out of a vehicle quite a bit. Other times I would just install baseless.

JBW

Moving the base didn't really occur to me, but if I'm putting it outboard, with LATCH, that would make the base move pretty easy. (Although, I'm still not sure I trust my MIL with any sort of install.)

MUTigers

I'd probably just move bases around as needed. You could leave one in your MILs car and move the other one between the three cars or buy a third base and give both grandmothers one and move the third one.

I've only done a baseless install with the chicco once but it was pretty easy, so I'd see that as a more time consuming, but feasible option too.

featherhead

Moving the base didn't really occur to me, but if I'm putting it outboard, with LATCH, that would make the base move pretty easy. (Although, I'm still not sure I trust my MIL with any sort of install.)

Would you not be there to move the base for her? How often will your mil have the baby? You could get a cheap convertible, like the Scenera that could stay in her car. Or just let her have one base, and the other three cars depending on who is in and out with the baby the most. Or share the base if that works.

JBW

My mother and MIL will have the baby 2 or 3 times a week each, but my mother will be transporting the baby to my MIL's. (Awesome setup, I know. We are very spoiled working parents.)

I'm not sure how often my MIL will actually travel with the baby. But my mother will be out an about daily.

My husband will pick up my daughter in the afternoon.

The baby will probably only ride in my car on the weekends.

A third base might be the best solution. But I'll still want to do a baseless install in my Corolla. I should probably pull out the old seat and give it a couple of tries.

I appreciate your comments.

featherhead

My mother and MIL will have the baby 2 or 3 times a week each, but my mother will be transporting the baby to my MIL's. (Awesome setup, I know. We are very spoiled working parents.) I'm not sure how often my MIL will actually travel with the baby. But my mother will be out an about daily. My husband will pick up my daughter in the afternoon. The baby will probably only ride in my car on the weekends. A third base might be the best solution. But I'll still want to do a baseless install in my Corolla. I should probably pull out the old seat and give it a couple of tries. I appreciate your comments.

Ah, I see. I have always been a stay-at-home mom, so the working mom/childcare situations don't always come to mind for me. It sounds like it would be best for both grandmothers to have a base. Maybe a convertible seat for your car, since baby won't be in it much? To me it makes more sense to buy a convertible rather than another base, cause you will need convertible seats eventually anyways. But of course there are many options, (baseless, share bases, buy a convertible for one vehicle, etc) and all of them are ok.

JBW

Any thoughts on a convertible that will fit behind the passenger seat in my Corolla. The passenger seat would have to accommodate me at 5'7"

featherhead

Any thoughts on a convertible that will fit behind the passenger seat in my Corolla. The passenger seat would have to accommodate me at 5'7"

I'm not familiar enough with all the seats in the US, so hopefully someone else would have some good ideas for you.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What's your budget? I had an 03 corolla and as long as you are sitting pretty upright you'll have a lot of options.

Not that I don't want to enable a new rear facing only seat if you want it. I love the Atons, especially the baseless install, and hate a conventional baseless install myself. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC