Ok to move into Booster Seat?

evansmom

My son turned 6 years old in January. He weights 51.5 lbs. and is 48 inches tall. Is it safe to move him into a booster seat? I have a Britax Frontier in one car and a Graco Nautilus in our other car and I know he can be kept harnessed longer in these seats, but can he safely be moved to the highback booster on these seats?

Thanks!

Last edited:
ADS

MommyShannon

Besides fitting well, a child must be mature enough to sit properly 100% of the time. If he is mature enough to not move the belt, lean forward, slouch, etc; then he is ready. Since he hasn't outgrown the harnesses, he has a better chance of fitting the nautilus as a booster. You can post a pic of him in it here for techs to evaluate the fit. The Frontier especially has a tendency to not let the belt move well when the headrest is still lower.

aeormsby

For his size and age he is fine in a booster. Just make sure he understands that he needs to stay seated properly so the seatbelt stays positioned correctly. Most kids do fine with that by age 6.

evansmom

Thanks.. Do we still use the tether for the highback booster? I have no idea how to change the seat, as I have not yet read the manual..

Baylor

Thanks.. Do we still use the tether for the highback booster? I have no idea how to change the seat, as I have not yet read the manual..

I don't know about the FR but in the Nautilus yes. You can use the entire LATCH system to keep seat secured when not in use. Latch holds the seat, Belt holds the child.

MommyShannon

You also don't tighten the LATCH as tightly as a normal install. Just remove the slack.
Read the manuals. The nautilus is a little tricky to remove the harness. The Frontier 85 requires the block on the bottom to be flipped to the back in booster mode.

Baylor

You also don't tighten the LATCH as tightly as a normal install. Just remove the slack.
Read the manuals. The nautilus is a little tricky to remove the harness. The Frontier 85 requires the block on the bottom to be flipped to the back in booster mode.

That is not what they told me when I called to ask Graco. They told me to install just like I would the car seat and then just use the belt.

MommyShannon

That is not what they told me when I called to ask Graco. They told me to install just like I would the car seat and then just use the belt.
Hm, I had read on here that not being as tight ok and possibly better. I didn't talk to Graco though.

Baylor

I emailed them to confirm it was okay after I got the last Nautilus because it did not state it in the Manual. I think I still have the email. I will look for it.. Just to make sure I read it right.

Athena

One thing to keep in mind is that those seats often don't fit well in booster mode until the child is close to outgrowing the harness. That'w what I've read and experienced. At 48", I'd guess he's close to outgrowing the Nauti harness anyway, but with both, I'd make sure to check the fit carefully.

You can latch and tether the Frontier, in fact I think Britax might recommend it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC