4 Kids in Ford Freestyle or Expedition?

SynEpona

DH is going to be having a company vehicle, leaving me the option to use his truck daily, or continue using my vehicle.

Four children - 7yo in Monterey or Parkway HBB, almost 3yo RFng in Radian + AA (SKJP version of RXT in one vechicle, R120 in the other), and 2 newborns in Keyfits (22lb version), we only have one base for each seat, as we only intend to use one vehicle as the 'holds everyone' vehicle (big kids will continue to have seats in both vehicles, regardless).

I also must have cargo space for a Babyjogger city select, with 2 carseat adapters and one of the actual stroller seats, to fit in the trunk space.

Right now, everyone is in my Freestyle. 7yo & one infant in 3rd row, toddler + other infant in 2nd row (on 60% portion of bench). It works. I'm not sure anything will be improved by moving to the truck, but figured if anyone would *know* it might be someone here! I really do not want to move seats around unless it will actually improve passenger or cargo space significantly. Moving the the truck also means higher fuel costs, which wouldn't stop us if it was really going to work a lot better.

The one challenge I had forgotten about in my planning, is extracting the 3rd row baby from his seat when I want to put him in a sling or wrap -- it's impossible. So I still have to take that seat out of the base, set it down, then get him out. If I could resolve that by using the truck ... it might be worth the effort of moving seats!

ADS

CarSafetyGuy

While the Expedition will give you more space, I'd stick with the Freestyle, as they're significantly easier to drive and park than the Expedition. Which years are you looking at for each vehicle?

NVMBR02

You own both vehicles already, correct?

I'd just use whichever you feel the most comfortable in. The Expedition will give you more space, and likely more options on seating arrangements. The freestyle is a 6 seater, correct?

If you like and feel comfortable with both, I'd stick with the freestyle if it has enough cargo space, since the gas milage is likely better.

kathysr98

Owning a Freestyle and having driven several Expeditions, I would keep using the Freestyle. The Expedition is so much taller, it will make it harder to reach the baby in the third row, and harder for the littles to start getting in under their own power. Also, if the stroller is out you can easily buckle or unbuckle a RF kid in the third row in the Freestyle, but would have to climb to do the same in the Expedition. I also love the well in the back of the Freestyle. It keeps stuff from falling out of the car when you open the hatch and gives you more cargo space.

2BunniesMommy

My husband currently has an Expedition, I drive it only when I have to. Uses too much gas and a beast to park. I have not driven a Freestyle, but SIL used to have one and it seemed like it would drive like a car, maybe a van at the most. The only thing that might be an advantage in the Expedition would be 3 across, but that may or may not be a good thing. I'd stick with the Freestyle though.

jgomez411

I have an Expedition and in your position, I would try my hardest to stay with the Freestyle. I like my Expedition but I have seriously considered trading it for a Freestyle. It's way too much of a gas guzzler. I usually end up driving my husband's Civic when he carpools lol

SynEpona

Thanks! We own both vehicles already, one is just going to be sitting 95% of the time right now -- I was thinking I'd stick with my car, but most people see 'big huge truck' and think it'll be roomier, so everyone had been suggesting to switch.

I wasn't convinced it'd actually be better :) and you've all confirmed that, so I'm sticking with the Freestyle for now.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC