2009 Odyssey EX-L

henrietta

Would you buy an '09 with 112,000 miles on it? Aside from a nice spot on the rear bumper (maybe the owner backed into a low metal pole or corner?), it's in beautiful shape, one owner, no wrecks, clean title, clean car fax, bought originally from a local Honda dealer. It was traded in today.

So frustrated on the major differences in price in our area on Ody's...they all go like hot cakes at our nice dealership, even if they have close to 100,000 miles. They seem to go in one day and are SOLD the next. DH actually had decided that an '11 with 40,000 miles (base model) was okay by him and it was sold by morning when we went back (was available the night before at 8 pm). They sell a couple of used, traded in Ody's a day.

Thanks!

ADS

henrietta

The 2011 EX was listed for $20,991. $16,000 is really the top of what we're comfortable with. Close to $20,000 is dh's freak out zone right now, but he was willing because it had only 40,000 miles and was certified pre-owned (and 1 owner).

At any rate..considering the '09 with 112,000 miles on it.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I don't have a strong opinion on whether you should purchase it, but I did buy a 2005 Touring w/80,000 miles for a similar price last fall.

One more question - there is a big maintenance item (timing belt/water pump, maybe?) due at 84 months OR 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. I'd make sure that has been done before I considered purchasing.

henrietta

I don't have a strong opinion on whether you should purchase it, but I did buy a 2005 Touring w/80,000 miles for a similar price last fall.

One more question - there is a big maintenance item (timing belt/water pump, maybe?) due at 84 months OR 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. I'd make sure that has been done before I considered purchasing.

We will definitely ask about that, thanks! :) I didn't look thru the info in the van to see if all the records were there. I have no idea if that kind of stuff was done on time or not. Would be good to know. I do know that the dealers service center will check all that with their inspection in the morning and will be able to tell at least *some* of that stuff.

In your case, older vehicle with higher trim level..but much lower miles..see why I'm confused? LOL

I can buy an '07 or '08 via private party around here for less, like $12,000 or so, but they all have lots of miles on them generally.

Jackie010307

Definitely look into if the timing belt and water pump have been changed. Most people go to the dealership for it because it is a very labor intensive job. Many small mechanic shops don't do it because it takes 5-6 hours and they usually don't have the manpower to have someone on the same job that long. Maintenance done at a dealership will also often show up on the carfax. If it hasn't been done plan to spend $1,000 to $1,200 depending on pricing of labor near you. I would also suggest having the tensioner and serpentine belt replaced at the same time. If you have to replace them down the road the labor is about the same and why pay $500-600 in labor again when it only costs a little more to change it all now?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
In your case, older vehicle with higher trim level..but much lower miles..see why I'm confused? LOL

Definitely! Ours had that big maintenance item done already, plus brand new tires, which helped. :) (and I maybe wrong on the price - maybe the list price was $14k? Not far off from yours though.) The fact that the maintenance had been done on time despite being far below the required mileage (I want to say it was under 70k) told me they had taken very good care of it.

Do you know anyone who works at a dealership, or who knows someone? Our area is similar to yours - Odysseys get snapped up - but a car seat friend told me to call her brother, who works at a Honda dealer. They had one I was interested in, and he put it on hold for me even though other dealers in their family had requested a transfer of it. I ended up buying it and LOVE it. :)

henrietta

Definitely! Ours had that big maintenance item done already, plus brand new tires, which helped. :) (and I maybe wrong on the price - maybe the list price was $14k? Not far off from yours though.) The fact that the maintenance had been done on time despite being far below the required mileage (I want to say it was under 70k) told me they had taken very good care of it.

Do you know anyone who works at a dealership, or who knows someone? Our area is similar to yours - Odysseys get snapped up - but a car seat friend told me to call her brother, who works at a Honda dealer. They had one I was interested in, and he put it on hold for me even though other dealers in their family had requested a transfer of it. I ended up buying it and LOVE it. :)

Nah, don't know anyone. But they are actually super helpful all around. It's not a bad dealership at all.

The only ones that sit on the lot have 140,000-200,000+ miles on them. :)

I'm open to an older one-I went this evening to test drive an '04 EXL that had 99,000 miles on it, but they were driving it off the lot when I got there. Just sold. I really want one a little bit newer than that anyways-an '06 or newer.

henrietta

They just put it up on their website..wasn't there a few hours ago. I have the Car Fax on it. The only records it shows are purchase, registrations, plus an open recall (Fuel Pump Module Temp, Recall #JD9. 9 records in all. One owner, clean title, no wrecks.

DH is going in to drive it in the morning. Sales guy is meeting him before they open. It will go thru service and detailing after that.

http://www.economyhonda.com/used/Ho...ttanooga-4fe2c8d60a0a00de1b5723a1acdc7372.htm

MommyShannon

I would. In 2010 we bought a 2006 with almost 100,000 miles, so similar age and miles at the time. It's been great. DH did do all those big maintenance items mentioned above. They definitely require somebody good with cars and lots of special tools (or so he said as he bought a bunch). It still cost a few hundred dollars I think for him to do them.

CarSafetyGuy

I'd recommend it. I've blogged about it being one of the safest vehicles on the road, despite its age, and also one of the most likely to last past 200k with care. As noted, you'll need to make sure the timing belt has been changed, as the engine is an interference design, which means that if the belt snaps while the engine is running, then the engine itself will be damaged and will almost certainly need a rebuild or replacement, which is far more expensive than the belt + labor.

CarSafetyGuy

Nah, don't know anyone. But they are actually super helpful all around. It's not a bad dealership at all.

The only ones that sit on the lot have 140,000-200,000+ miles on them. :)

I'm open to an older one-I went this evening to test drive an '04 EXL that had 99,000 miles on it, but they were driving it off the lot when I got there. Just sold. I really want one a little bit newer than that anyways-an '06 or newer.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the '04 if you can afford anything '05 or newer; they are different generations, and even though in terms of driver death rates, they are equally safe, the '05 generation is significantly safer on paper, as it comes with ESC standard as well as head airbags for all three rows, two things that are not present in the '99-'04 generation. You also get an official side impact score, which is "good" overall.

henrietta

I'd recommend it. I've blogged about it being one of the safest vehicles on the road, despite its age, and also one of the most likely to last past 200k with care. As noted, you'll need to make sure the timing belt has been changed, as the engine is an interference design, which means that if the belt snaps while the engine is running, then the engine itself will be damaged and will almost certainly need a rebuild or replacement, which is far more expensive than the belt + labor.

We bought it!!! :dance:

If it appears the timing belt wasn't yet changed, dh was hoping to negotiate them changing it before we drive it home. It has to be serviced, so I get to take it home Monday. Hopefully they'll be honest!!:)

ETA: Now I know that they can't tell from looking...dh bought the extended warranty for the year just in case of anything..and is going to ask how much to just go ahead and replace the timing belt.

Last edited:

henrietta

Also, I wouldn't recommend the '04 if you can afford anything '05 or newer; they are different generations, and even though in terms of driver death rates, they are equally safe, the '05 generation is significantly safer on paper, as it comes with ESC standard as well as head airbags for all three rows, two things that are not present in the '99-'04 generation. You also get an official side impact score, which is "good" overall.

I really didn't want the previous generation, so I wasn't too keen on the '04. It did only have 99,000 miles on it and was an EX L w/DVD though. :)

Side Curtain Airbags in all three rows was important to me, so that was my argument against the '04.

I think it will be fine. Going to call around and see if I can find out which private mechanic shop worked on this van...it's from a smaller town not too far from us..and the owners had Disney Snow White & dwarf decals on it, so maybe someone will remember it or can pull it up from the VIN number? I might get lucky and find out they actually did already change the timing belt.

Around how much does it cost to replace the timing belt? I know it's expensive. We've done it on other cars before.

CarSafetyGuy

I really didn't want the previous generation, so I wasn't too keen on the '04. It did only have 99,000 miles on it and was an EX L w/DVD though. :)

Side Curtain Airbags in all three rows was important to me, so that was my argument against the '04.

I think it will be fine. Going to call around and see if I can find out which private mechanic shop worked on this van...it's from a smaller town not too far from us..and the owners had Disney Snow White & dwarf decals on it, so maybe someone will remember it or can pull it up from the VIN number? I might get lucky and find out they actually did already change the timing belt.

Around how much does it cost to replace the timing belt? I know it's expensive. We've done it on other cars before.

Congrats on getting it! :D Yes, many shops keep logs, so hopefully you'll see it. Since it's got right around 120k on the clock, it's likely it's already been done, since most owners will either do it by 105k or will sell it in order to not have to do it. You can often also check whether it's been changed or not by looking at the timing belt cover itself, as many shops will leave a sticker there (the same way they do with oil changes) letting you know when it was last done).

If you do need to replace it, figure around 700-1k, depending on the location, presuming you take it to a shop.

henrietta

Congrats on getting it! :D Yes, many shops keep logs, so hopefully you'll see it. Since it's got right around 120k on the clock, it's likely it's already been done, since most owners will either do it by 105k or will sell it in order to not have to do it. You can often also check whether it's been changed or not by looking at the timing belt cover itself, as many shops will leave a sticker there (the same way they do with oil changes) letting you know when it was last done).

If you do need to replace it, figure around 700-1k, depending on the location, presuming you take it to a shop.

Thanks so much! Good to know they may see a sticker noting it if it was done. We'll know Monday if they find anything like that. Or my dad & dh are perfectly capable of looking, but I understand if they don't want to b/c it's difficult to look and find it. We'll save up to replace it if needed...and he got a warranty that covers a lot, too (Including timing belt, water pump, all engine stuff). Easier for us this year with work, school, & 3 kiddos! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC