Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Finding the right Car Seat

Hey there,

I am totally new to car seats and have no idea. I need a convertible car seat for children starting 1 year old. I have an in home daycare and need the seat to be for occasional trips and emergencies only...I don't need an every day car seat.

I have a VERY limited budget, $50 is the absolute max I can spend at this point. It would be great if it was cheaper. Any help?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Finding the right Car Seat

Welcome!

While there are seats in that price range, they most likely won't fit all kids you might watch. The Cosco Apt or Scenera will fit most one year olds rear facing on their birthdays, as will the Evenflo Tribute, but some will already have outgrown them rear-facing by height by the time they are one and a half or two (two is the minimum recommendation to forward face), and some will outgrow them entirely by three or so.

If you could stretch to $60, an Evenflo Titan 65 (not the regular Titan) will fit most kids from birth to around five to seven years old (rear-facing to two to four, forward facing after that.) Burlington often has it in stock for $60.

Now, if you only watch one to three year olds, and they are all on the smaller side, a Scenera or Apt may do fine!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Re: Finding the right Car Seat

Another vote the the SureRide/Titan65. The Apt meets your budget criteria but, like the previous poster said, isn't a long lasting seat, and is outgrown FF at the same time it's outgrown RF. Also, the Apt is wide at the head, where the Titan65 is a fairly narrow seat.