Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    I do nannying so I work with a lot of different car seat and vehicle combinations and tonight had a first. I had to install a Cosco Scenera FF in a 2005 Ford Focus (my moms car) and I used the LATCH to install outboard drivers side and I could NOT get it where the car seat would not move. I had the belt as TIGHT as I could pull it (and I'm not weak, I'm crazy about installing car seats properly/tight) and it was still wiggling side to side WAYY more then 1 inch! The belt was so tight but the carseat was sliding all over the leather seat! I even pulled the seat cover back and pulled the LATCH strap from inside the seat!

I have a Maestro installed on the passenger outboard side and it fits perfect and I have had a titan 5 (FF AND RF) installed where the scenera is and I have never ever had this issue! I definitely won't be using this car seat again if I can't find a solution!

So my question is.. What do I do if the belt is tight but the car seat is still wiggling everywhere? Is this a scenera problem with the shell shape/design maybe and the seat of the car? It doesn't make sense to me at all how the belt can be right and the car seat still wiggle everywhere. Would using the seatbelt work better maybe? I'm just laying with the baby right now and I'm going to go play around with again it when she falls asleep but I was just wondering what you guys thought!?

Thanks in advance I really do love how wonderful everyone on here is and how helpful you all are!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Tight LATCH belts but carseat still loose?

Is it possible that the adjuster on the strap is stuck on the lip of the belt path, preventing you from pulling any more slack out of the strap?

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revz22 View Post
    Is it possible that the adjuster on the strap is stuck on the lip of the belt path, preventing you from pulling any more slack out of the strap?
    That's exactly what I was going to say - I've seen that happen with the Scenera many times.

If you can't get the seat tight with LATCH, try it with the seatbelt. I've had no problem installing a Scenera RF in my 2003 Focus with the seatbelt.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Do you have the FF foot out?
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).