Question 5 point harness for older kids

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I don't want to add too much fuel to the fire here, but just getting back to the original question, in some states here in the US a child must weigh 40 lbs in order to graduate to a booster. So if the OP lives in such a state OR if the OP is traveling to such a state, she will need to follow one of Wendy's suggestions for something like a Maestro or a Ride Safer Travel Vest (version 2) in order to be in compliance with the local laws.

I realize that harnessing older, lightweight kids in places where it's legal to move them to boosters is a controversial topic on this board, but I don't think it's really our place to make a parent second-guess a decision to keep a child harnessed to 40 lbs. There are many, many boosters on the market that have a 40 lb minimum, a few states that require it, and the entire Transport Canada system that has determined that they will not certify boosters for children smaller than 40 lbs. It is a perfectly reasonable and safe option for a parent to decide to follow that guideline whether or not the parent is legally required to do so.

ADS
U

Unregistered

OP here - thanks for all of your responses, and sorry it took me a while to catch up with the thread. Yes, we live in a US state that says boosters from 40# and up - I didn't realize that wasn't the case everywhere. I appreciate the suggestions, and if anyone is still reading, would appreciate more suggestions for a safe, lightweight booster for a 37# 7 year old because I think where we're traveling allows boosters from 30#s. We'll stick with the harness at home for the time being.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC