Small overlap test schedule

Hazelandlucy

Is there some sort of schedule of small overlap testing? It's really limiting my selection because I am trying to get all the latest and greatest safety features in my new car. Can I assume other models of the same make would pass - like the GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave (the Terrain was rated good)? Thanks!

ADS

CarSafetyGuy

Is there some sort of schedule of small overlap testing? It's really limiting my selection because I am trying to get all the latest and greatest safety features in my new car. Can I assume other models of the same make would pass - like the GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave (the Terrain was rated good)? Thanks!

The schedule is determined by the IIHS. They have to buy the vehicles first, and you've got to remember that they work from a relatively narrow budget. Unfortunately, you've got to either wait or purchase already-tested vehicles.

You can't assume passing scores transfer unless the vehicles are twins. The Acadia/Enclave/Traverse are the same vehicle, but that vehicle is different from the 2014 Terrain, which is the same as the 2014 Equinox.

Cath3114

Just an FYI, if you're looking to buy one of those vehicles soon.

GM has issued a stop-sale order for 2009-2014 Acadias/Traverses/Enclaves. There is an issue with front seat belts that can result in failure (in addition to a previously announced recall for driver's side airbags). You can buy the vehicle but can't take it home until repairs are made - unfortunately GM has no timeline for repairs and acknowledges they don't even have the parts.

As a comparison, I took my Acadia to the dealership 5 weeks ago and they ordered the side airbag part for me, quoting a wait time of a week. The part is still not available and now I have to deal with the additional recall. With the millions of cars they have recalled lately I don't expect anything to happen in any reasonable time frame.

Hazelandlucy

Just an FYI, if you're looking to buy one of those vehicles soon.

GM has issued a stop-sale order for 2009-2014 Acadias/Traverses/Enclaves. There is an issue with front seat belts that can result in failure (in addition to a previously announced recall for driver's side airbags). You can buy the vehicle but can't take it home until repairs are made - unfortunately GM has no timeline for repairs and acknowledges they don't even have the parts.

As a comparison, I took my Acadia to the dealership 5 weeks ago and they ordered the side airbag part for me, quoting a wait time of a week. The part is still not available and now I have to deal with the additional recall. With the millions of cars they have recalled lately I don't expect anything to happen in any reasonable time frame.

What a nightmare! Thanks for the warning

Hazelandlucy

The schedule is determined by the IIHS. They have to buy the vehicles first, and you've got to remember that they work from a relatively narrow budget. Unfortunately, you've got to either wait or purchase already-tested vehicles.

You can't assume passing scores transfer unless the vehicles are twins. The Acadia/Enclave/Traverse are the same vehicle, but that vehicle is different from the 2014 Terrain, which is the same as the 2014 Equinox.

Thanks - is there anyway of knowing what they are planning on testing next? I guess what I was hoping was that if GMC (or any make) made a model that passed the test, it meant they made cars that in general that would pass!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC