Talked to an engineer @ Recaro re: twisty straps

ZephyrBlue

Talked to an engineer @ Recaro re: twisty straps UPDATE

I spoke with Katherine Hubanks (I think she's the general sales mgr for the North America carseat division) and an engineer named Danielle about the twisty Como straps vs. the non-twisting straps of the Signo, and the different buckles/buckle tongues. They asked for pictures of the twisting and I just sent them. Katherine is going to get back with me, hopefully soon. Will update when I hear something. Fingers crossed that we can get it resolved!!

They were both VERY nice, btw :)

Last edited:
ADS

tl01

I had called them about this prob a week or two ago and Gayle never called me back. I'll call them again tomorrow so hopefully they will get the point that we want a solution:) I love the seat otherwise!

southpawboston

Yeah, if mine weren't gone I could take some pictures that make those look good. I have had them to completely flip over. :mad:

my YS never got that bad, but i also try not to let it happen when i'm working with the straps. if i wasn't careful, they could probably get that way.

arly1983

my YS never got that bad, but i also try not to let it happen when i'm working with the straps. if i wasn't careful, they could probably get that way.

Even being careful, it still happened. I would completely loosen the harness and lay buckle tongues over the sides of the seat (also helps so I don't have to dig them out from under him later). When I would load him back up, I would lift him over the sides, which is not easy, so he didn't touch the straps. Then when I would buckle him back in, they would still be fliped just from that little bit of moving around. Gayle made it sound like I was doing something wrong but I have owned and used just about every high(and low) end carseat out there. :rolleyes:

ZephyrBlue

wow, those are real bad... they almost looked staged ...

:p

It's not staged. My DH told me to just use the seat normally and not un-tangle the straps at all for a day (we are in and out of the car 2-3x daily, on a minimum) and then see what they do, and then send pictures to Recaro. When Katherine and Danielle asked for pics, I was excited, LOL!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Wow, those remind me of what the 3in1 seat straps used to do - they were near impossible to keep untwisted until they changed the harness straps a few years back. They still twist if you're not careful, but before it was near impossible to keep them untwisted...

niccig

Mine aren't as bad as that, but only because the como is in DH's car and only gets used on the weekend. They fold over just a little as they go through the buckle tongues. I hope there's an answer to this - maybe a different buckle like on SPB's Signo??

ZephyrBlue

Reply from Recaro:

"Brandi, I apologize for not getting back sooner, but between traveling, being sick and normal sales duties, I feel behind on my emails. Daniella and I went thru all the target books and check out the specifications on the webbing. Apparently the decision was made to go to a softer, silkier strap (not cheaper) in order to make it more comfortable for the child. We have passed on your comments, pictures, etc to the engineering team and this is on their agenda to look into going back to the heavier strap. This was a decision to make it more comfortable for the child, the straps tested to all specifications and crash standards, just never realized there would be the twisting issue.

I assure you this is on their priority list to look into changing the strap. I do appreciate your input and pictures and help in this.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Katherine Hubanks

National Sales Manager - Child Seat Division"

I asked her if it would be possible to get a buckle and tongues like the one being used on the Signo. Katherine said she would talk with the engineer tomorrow; apparantly there may be an issue with me being able to safely change the buckle out. I'll post back when I hear from her.

southpawboston

i wonder if i should send in the pics of my YS and see if they'd do anything about them. interesting about the "softer, silkier" strap. they don't seem any softer or silkier than the ones on the scenera, and those don't have the same problem. i think the problem is with matching the straps with the buckle tongues.

southpawboston

i'm beginning to think that a longer slot opening will not solve the problem (i had previously thought that based on SK giving out tongues with longer slots). after looking closely at the YS and como tongues (which are the same), i'm thinking now that the slots are simply too wide (as in, the thickness of the opening). you could probably squeeze three straps through there. the cosco tongue slots are like really narrow slits. you can barely fit two straps through them. as a result, the signo straps (which are the same as the como straps) don't fold over through the cosco tongues.

ZephyrBlue

i wonder if i should send in the pics of my YS and see if they'd do anything about them. interesting about the "softer, silkier" strap. they don't seem any softer or silkier than the ones on the scenera, and those don't have the same problem. i think the problem is with matching the straps with the buckle tongues

I did mention that you've had trouble w/your YS harness twisting and she was very quick to say that she's never heard of this before, and was I sure it was a Young Sport, because it really didn't seem possible to have that trouble with it.

SPB, I'm going to email her back with your comments on the width of the tongue opening, I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

southpawboston

well, i never told katherine about the twisty RS straps... so it's conceivable she's telling you the truth. i had told paul breyer, who was surprised and said he hadn't heard of that before. he wanted me to send in pics, but i haven't gotten around to it. i probably should soon, as i only have another month of warranty left on the YS.

tl01

I think part of the issues is the straps. If they were a bit thicker it would be harder for them to twist and flip over in the tongs. I called Recaro and left a 3rd message last week regarding this issue. SPB, are the straps on the Signo the same as the Como?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC