Question What is your ideal car seat arrangement?

armywife12

I have a 2014 Odyssey so I know my configurations are endless but I want opinions on *your* favorite configurations. I have 2 children with one due to come in October
Ages and seats when baby comes:
7: Recaro Performance Booster
3: rf in HeadWise
NB: rf in NextFit

I haven't yet tried to see if the HeadWise and NextFit fit next to each other or even if the HeadWise fits next to the booster. I'm not sure if I want all 3 in a row or put my oldest in the back. I think I'd prefer to take the capt chair out for the side aisle and have the 2 RFers next to each other but my 3 yr old can be mean and I'm worried she'll throw things at the little one lol. What would be your go to set up?

ADS

YinzerMama

I think that unless you want to make your own life slightly harder (buckle rf kid in 3rd row) or make your oldest kid climb under a rf seat, you're going to have to put the 3yo next to the baby. And it might not be as bad as you fear. (my "younger" twin was a total velcro baby before my 4th was born and my husband kept telling me I had to break her of that and I didn't - but once he was here - amazingly - it went OK) (yes it could also be sheer hell for you but you really don't know)

The graco seat will not go in the center 2nd row but the nextfit will. So baby goes in middle, 3yo goes outboard on side that makes your life easier, and I'd ask the oldest if he wants to be alone in the back or with the others in the middle.

The recaro is huge so as you mention having it in the middle row might not work out anyway.

CarSafetyGuy

I also agree with the idea of putting the two younger kids together. Talk to your 3-year-old and offer her rewards for good behavior : D

armywife12

So I tried the NextFit in the middle with the Headwise and it works but I'm not sure I'm crazy about it. My son also wants to sit next to the baby and there's no way his booster works next to the NextFit. Physically they fit but the combination between the NextFit's high sides and the wide and bulky sides of the Performance leaves me with very little space to get baby in and out of her seat when she gets here. Ugh, I need someone to make this choice for me. I'm not opposed to getting an infant seat either. The Nextfit then would stay in my husband's vehicle and work with both baby and toddler until toddler goes FF

mom2ari

I am leaning towards going with a ketfit in the middle seat. We have a RFing diono RXT on the drivers side captains chair and the passenger captains chair removed for an isle so the two bigger girls can get into the third row.

I love having that seat out! It makes it seem like there is so much more room than when we had the middle seat out.

We have also had two RFers in each captains chair and a FFer in the third row. She just climbed under a seat to get in. We have also had both RFers in the 3rd row (but not when DS was a newbie) or we have had a rfer in a captains chair and a rfer and FFer in the 3rd row.

Our current set up is my favorite so far, which is why I'm searching for an infant seat that will go on the middle seat (and eventually probably a convertible that will go there as well)

bnsnyde

We have that van, but 2011.
I like 3 in a row. I have the kids who need to get out for the carline in that 2nd row. Basically any 3 seats fit. We do have the RF baby there, too, since it's easy to put her in there.

In back is a RF 3 YO (I am turning him FF soon as he is 43 lbs., and has a Radian.) And a 4 YO in a FF Radian (and he'll need a bigger seat soon, too). These are side by side with part of the seat folded down. Once we change anything back there, we're in trouble. They will have to climb over the seatback as the seats won't go side by side. :(

If we have a 6th I'd put baby in back (convertible since my infant seat does not tighten in the base, darn it). I'd have 3 kids who need to get out to school in the 2nd row. Ideally, I'd always have baby in 2nd row outboard, but you do what you can do.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC