what to buy!!?

corrielainedd

the details:

DD1, 6 in Nov. 43lbs-ish, 43-44in tall, 15in shoulder sitting.
Outgrowing Boulrevard, still fits in Radian XTSL.
Need new seat.

Frontier 90 or Pioneer 70? She is not very tall, nor do we have very tall genetics. Im thinking the Pioneer would be a good choice.
I can get 2 for the price of 1 Frontier.. so I can go ahead and use the Radian for DD2, and #3 (in the oven) can use the Britax?

OR, should I just get a couple of Parkway SG's, or the new Diono Cambria? She is mature enough for a booster.. Im just not sure how I feel about it.
Is there a point where it is silly to have them in a 5pt harness?

IDK...
But if Im able to save money, we can likely buy the Coccoro we might need for #3 in our small car for 3 across.

Should I feel ok about putting her in a good, safe booster? or should I feel guilt, and buy the more expensive harness boosters?

ADS

rachelandtyke

Did she turn 6 this past November or is she turning 6 this coming November?

I agree that the Pioneer sounds more appropriate than the Frontier for your situation.

If you can truly trust her to sit properly in a booster and stay that way the entire trip, then a dedicated booster is a good option as well. Lots of kids can at 6 1/2. Some can and some can't at 5 1/2. But you know your DD best.

Since you have other children to pass down the seat to, the Pioneer would still prove useful long term even if you didn't use it harnessed for very long.

corrielainedd

She will be 6 this November.

I think the Pioneer will at least get her to 7yrs, then we can use it as a booster, or pass it to her sister if need be.

babyherder

When doing 3 across buckling a booster is generally very annoying. I'd probably keep her harnessed for as long as possible in that car. I'm not sure the Frontier or the Pioneer are good for 3 across but the radian is great.

You could get one booster and one harnessed seat and see how things go.

corrielainedd

We need to do 3 across in our '95 Mazda 626. But not in our Ford Expedition.
I think Pioneer/Frontier-Radian-Coccoro (in some combo) will work in the mazda. Im going to try Pioneer/Radian/radian too

Keeyamah

Just to throw a loop out there for you, what about the Harmony Defender for the car needing 3-across? It's about as narrow as the Radian, has 18" top slots (which would be about 3 more years of torso growth, it's an inch taller there than the Radian) and only about $100? I'd also suggest the Sureride, but I haven't found it to be puzzle friendly with my Radians, so I'm not sure how well it would work.

corrielainedd

Out of curiosity, i measured the back row of our Ford Expedition. It is 50in too, and i can fit 3 radians (any combo), and i think ive done 2 radians + a Marathon... Ill have to explore more

AZmamaof2

Personal opinion:

I bought the Pioneer as my DS's back up seat since I was looking for a cheaper yet higher top harness. It has been my least favorite britax seat, and I wish I had just bought another frontier85. I don't like the empty space where the click tight would have been on the seat were it a frontier90, and I hate the seatbelt install. I don't feel like it's very tight. He's getting close to maxing out the harness, even though it's supposed to be 17.5". We tried the securekid 300 but it was too narrow for him.

corrielainedd

Thanks for your thoughts :)

We have a store a couple hours away that buys excess retail goods, unsold sale items, business closing items, etc. They often have car seats.
My friend went today and found me a Frontier 90 march 2014 $160. And a Recaro Performance Sport Feb 2014 $70.
So, we will start with the Frontier. She can use the Recaro in Memaw's car, as shes in a Marathon in her car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC