intended missuse

TeenaMarie

I need articles or something that proves that the no after market products rule isnt just for inssurance, and to discourage from using them.

My sister and brother-in-law got to take home my niece yesterday(31 days old) and today my brother-in-law and i got in to it about him saying "I'm going to have to get some of those strap covers so they don't dig in to her neck" when i told him you cannot use them he got as we call it 'david-ish' "Oh just watch me" tried to explain that it didn't come with covers because they were tested and failed with or weren't tested with so they are not safe(used it being that its the same reason as the position the handle has to be in as an example). And tried to explain that they can also push down the chest clip so in an accident it could cause internal bleeding. And that the manufacturers wouldn't be required to fix/compensate if the seat malfunctioned because it had something it wasn't tested with. Told him that the only safe thing to do is pull her shirt between the straps and her neck. So he started arguing that it's an insurance ploy "their trying to cop out of paying, they'd check if it was installed tight enough if the straps were tight and then go and try about after market products"

this is frustrating after he went on and on about how "if it's something you're that interested in and you have all this knowledge you should put it to use" and said he would follow anything I said because he knew I research this all and it's not something I'm just pulling out of thin air.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
What car seat are they using? There are approved strap covers available for some seats that don't come with them on a lower trim level, but do on a deluxe model.

bubbaray

That is not a hill I would die on. I would just let that go. You've pointed it out, he doesn't accept it. If you want to follow up, tell him to call the manufacturer.

Lemonade

Given the giant pads on the radian (or whatever it's called now) that I installed at a check on Saturday, I just don't see how some normal thickness aftermarket pads could completely change the workings of an otherwise tight harness.

I totally get the logic but if the covers mean the straps are properly tightened versus not being tight because of irritation, then by all means use them. There's ideal and then there's real world and real kids.

TeenaMarie

its not as much using the aftermarket pads that I'm bothered by; its that she is little; 5lbs and 19inches. If he put harness pads on no doubt either her chest clip wouldn't be in the right position, or he'd adjust the straps above her shoulders so it could be.
Its an evenflo secure ride; so its not like the part of the harness that I'd call irritating is touching her, its small red tabs.
I know I've read that it used to be recommended to use baby socks with the toes cut off and its not anymore; but would it be an okay if you feel you must use something alternative since they'd be squishy and small enough to not interfere much if at all?

YinzerMama

This is funny because twice yesterday I typed out a big long response about how I would not make an issue of this because I don't think logical thinking supports there being any risk - but I was afraid I would get jumped on.

Provided the seat is used properly otherwise - straps snug, chest clip in right place - I would let it go.

There are way bigger mistakes a parent can make and if you come across as a zealot over something this minor, they won't listen to you when it comes to bigger matters.

(that's the cliff's notes of what I wanted to say)

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I'd let it go without a second thought. I'd probably even buy him some ones that would be short enough to not interfere with the chest clip. Bigger fish, and alla that.

MommyShannon

Yeah, I'd stress how to check tightness and chest clip position. Then hopefully they will be logical about not using them if it changes those things.

TeenaMarie

So would it be okay to tell him if he feels he must he can use baby socks without toes? I don't imagine finding covers that would be short enough.

Baylor

its not as much using the aftermarket pads that I'm bothered by; its that she is little; 5lbs and 19inches. If he put harness pads on no doubt either her chest clip wouldn't be in the right position, or he'd adjust the straps above her shoulders so it could be.
Its an evenflo secure ride; so its not like the part of the harness that I'd call irritating is touching her, its small red tabs.
I know I've read that it used to be recommended to use baby socks with the toes cut off and its not anymore; but would it be an okay if you feel you must use something alternative since they'd be squishy and small enough to not interfere much if at all?

My son came home at 5lb 10 oz. He has big strap covers that came with the seat. They did not hinder me getting it tight for him and the chest clip was fine.

I think you need to just let it go. It is certainly not the worse thing and if you make too big of a deal about something like this they may blow you off on something really important.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
So would it be okay to tell him if he feels he must he can use baby socks without toes? I don't imagine finding covers that would be short enough.

With the exception of the huge puffy ones, I can't imagine the standard ones not working.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC