Experience flying Turkish Airlines?

eddis

Has anyone had recent experience flying Turkish Air and successfully getting their 5-point harness seat onboard? I read a few posts that said they were challenged when boarding. Our 6yo still fits in his Radian RXT, but the web site says that only kids 2yo and under may travel with a car seat.

I'd rather not have our seat taken away and gate-checked - if it seems unlikely that we will be allowed to take our seat, what would you suggest for car travel at the other end? We will be renting cars for travel in Bodrum, Turkey, and also for drives around the hill towns outside Rome, Italy for another leg of our trip, so I'd like to have a nice sturdy option. DS is still on the small side for his age (about 49 in/125cm, 40 lbs.), so we could bring a Bubble Bum, but I am debating the practicality/wisdom of bringing a high-back booster and checking it in our luggage. (Somehow I feel better about packing a seat - disassembled - in a suitcase, surrounded by clothes, than handing over a 'naked' seat to gate staff.)

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

ADS

cantabdad

There was a previous thread here where folks described their experiences with Turkish Airlines; in general, they were able to use their carseats but had to be very firm and insistent with the flight attendants:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243257

Hard to say whether you'd encounter even more pushback since your child is older.

In terms of carseat selection - - I've sometimes found the Radian to be tricky to install in certain cars. It wouldn't be my first choice for travel overseas with unknown rental vehicles.

If you have time before your trip to get your son "booster trained" (if he's not already) then that would give you some additional flexibility. You could bring the backless part of the booster as a carry-on item and pack the back in your checked luggage; that way you at least have something if your baggage is delayed.

We've used the BubbleBum on some trips. It's great for short trips, but if you're doing a lot of driving and there's a chance that your son might fall asleep in the car, it might be nicer to have a highback booster. The highback would also be good in case your rental is an older vehicle without adequate head restraints in the backseat.

eddis

There was a previous thread here where folks described their experiences with Turkish Airlines; in general, they were able to use their carseats but had to be very firm and insistent with the flight attendants:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=243257

Hard to say whether you'd encounter even more pushback since your child is older.

Thanks! Yeah, I don't know that we'll be able to make a strong case for our 6yo still being in a harnessed seat. Drat. :)

In terms of carseat selection - - I've sometimes found the Radian to be tricky to install in certain cars. It wouldn't be my first choice for travel overseas with unknown rental vehicles.

We've hauled the Radian around enough that I'm familiar with its quirks :) - most recently took it to Mexico last year. But if we won't be able to carry it on board I don't want to risk damage...

If you have time before your trip to get your son "booster trained" (if he's not already) then that would give you some additional flexibility. You could bring the backless part of the booster as a carry-on item and pack the back in your checked luggage; that way you at least have something if your baggage is delayed.

He's ridden in boosters in other people's cars (actually the 9yo is more of a challenge on long car rides, she slumps out of her seat and gets grumpy when realigned :)). Anyone have suggestions for a highback booster that packs down small (well, the back, anyway) ? We've traveled with the Parkway SG before but it eats up most of a big suitcase.

We've used the BubbleBum on some trips. It's great for short trips, but if you're doing a lot of driving and there's a chance that your son might fall asleep in the car, it might be nicer to have a highback booster. The highback would also be good in case your rental is an older vehicle without adequate head restraints in the backseat.

Our longest stretch will be about three hours, from Rome to the Le Marche region. DH thinks it won't be as bad as coastal roads, but I'm leery. :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:

BananaBoat

I don't have any experience with Turkish Airlines, but wanted to offer an additional suggestion: Ride Safer Travel Vest http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/

We've been using it as our travel seat since our oldest daughter turned 3.5 & it's been the perfect solution once she was able to sit comfortably in an air plane seat :) She's now almost 6 & mostly boostered at home, but we still use the vest for travel. It's also our spare seat when we carpool or have an emergency.

I have heard that they are testing a new model that can also be used on a plane, but it doesn't seem to be available for purchase yet.

eddis

Thanks for the Ride Safer rec! I have heard of it before but hadn't really considered it as I thought we'd just bring our car seats wherever till DS grew out of his. :) But several people have now recommended the RS vest. Does it get hot at all? And, do you use it with a booster?

BananaBoat

You don't use it with a booster - it functions as a 5 point harness & passes the same safety testing as any other 5 point harness on the market. It can get a little hot, but we've used it in the Caribbean with no AC in the car & it's been fine. Just keep the windows open!

gigi

I think it is classified as a booster and passes those tests. It is more like using a booster than a harness, the kids need to stay still.

If you use RSTV, be sure to tell the child to stay still with back against the seat back and not wiggle around. If they are out of position the RSTV won't protect them. In Europe you will likely need a lap shoulder belt to use it, as very few cars have top tethers.

Another option is a Boostapak. We have one for travel and playdates and it is great! The belt fit is excellent and the kid can carry it himself.

BananaBoat

I think it is classified as a booster and passes those tests. It is more like using a booster than a harness, the kids need to stay still.

If you use RSTV, be sure to tell the child to stay still with back against the seat back and not wiggle around. If they are out of position the RSTV won't protect them. In Europe you will likely need a lap shoulder belt to use it, as very few cars have top tethers.
I don't believe that to be correct. They have published their testing results here (http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/products/test-results/ridesafer2/) using both a 3 year old & 6 year old dummy.

Additionally, you can lock the belt on the RSTV if preferred to help remind your child to stay in position.

gigi

I don't believe that to be correct. They have published their testing results here (http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/products/test-results/ridesafer2/) using both a 3 year old & 6 year old dummy.

Additionally, you can lock the belt on the RSTV if preferred to help remind your child to stay in position.

Belts in Europe usually don't lock though. I might be wrong about the testing, sorry if I am. I am pretty sure it is classified as a booster and really it functions much more like a booster than a harness.

I won't lie...I detest that RSTV and don't trust it (I used it under specific circumstances in short taxi rides, my kid was uncomfortable, and the install leaves lots of room for error for inexperienced or inattentive caregivers). I didn't like it at all but I needed it. I would much much rather put my 6 year old in a booster. Also, it is heavy (maybe 5 lbs with tether strap). It isn't something you'll just throw in your purse and forget about.

BananaBoat

To each their own.

I love the RSTV & have used it internationally for years without issue. I don't find it heavy at all -certainly not compared to any booster or seat - and literally throw it in my purse (or my child's backpack) every time we travel. I find installation very straightforward & the only complaint from my kid was that they couldn't see out the window as well. For the convenience, I'll take that complaint! As for "not trusting" it, I find that to be unfounded as there is no research to back that up. While I agree it's unconventional in comparison to typical harnessed seats, it still passes testing with fairly good results. I maintain that it's an excellent option for OP's situation. I would not have known of its existence had I not come to CSO & I'm so glad I did! It's been a tremendously helpful travel option for our family :)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Is it possible to buy an inexpensive booster seat and have it waiting there for you? Or take a NBB but go to a store and buy a highback once you are there. You could always donate it to a women's shelter of something when you leave.

eddis

safeinthecar - thanks for the thoughts! We have a Bubble Bum(p) :) and will likely take that with us, for a NBB. As for buying a highback, given that Turkish Air discourages children over two from flying with a car seat, it doesn't sound very promising that we will find a good HBB over there (and I don't want to spend my vacation looking for a seat). :)

I am still debating whether to pack our HBB (disassembled, inside a suitcase) - though, part of our trip involves regional jets with low luggage limits, so I'd rather not pay more for transporting our seat than it cost to buy in the first place.

Am considering a combination of the CARES harness, RSTV, and a second BB. Which seems awfully expensive given that we have a seat which can do all that we need it to, but can't take it. Sigh. :)

gigi

He is 6. A Bubble bum is totally safe and perfect for the situation. A cares is unnecessary. A 6 year old will fit the airplane belt just fine.

eddis

Interesting add-on. I almost want it for myself, on the airplane! :) It seems like it's just for sleeping, not crashproofing?

And hope the rental car has head restraints on posts.

This is my worry. It will probably be fine, but I just don't like leaving things to chance.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC