Question Need Convertible recommendations

steph

I haven't had to think about getting a Convertible for awhile since Ryan is 8. I watch a 2 1/2 yr old and will be watching his sister in a few months (she will be 5 months old).

I need convertible recs. She will either be behind the driver or in the 3rd row of my Pilot.

Her brother rides in a Graco Nautilus and Ryan rides in a backless Parkway.

Price may or may not be an issue so give me a few options. I had a Britax Boulevard and Marathon with Ryan but there are so many other options now.

My only true criteria is super easy installation with seatbelt and LATCH and I want it to be easy to move around if needed. Thanks!

ADS

steph

After a brief search I'm considering the following four:

Graco Mysize but confused on all the different ones
Combi Coccoro
Britax Marathon
Chicco Nextfit

More compact is a plus too.

MommyShannon

I'd get a NextFit or Britax. NextFit would last longer RF. Both install easily and can be moved easily. It sounds like the Graco clone harnesses are hit or miss tightening. Maybe not deal breaker problems, but not necessary to deal with unless you really want the extra RF height. Personally, I love the ease of the Britax seats so much that I'd probably just get a Marathon if the height will last for you.

steph

I'd get a NextFit or Britax. NextFit would last longer RF. Both install easily and can be moved easily. It sounds like the Graco clone harnesses are hit or miss tightening. Maybe not deal breaker problems, but not necessary to deal with unless you really want the extra RF height. Personally, I love the ease of the Britax seats so much that I'd probably just get a Marathon if the height will last for you.

Thanks!

I'm partial to Britax but seems like there were some new options. I loved my Keyfit and sort of want the Nextfit but it's so big (or seems big)!

seb3244

I have a britax advocate and a nextfit. Tomorrow I will try to post some pics of dd in each of them so you can see how much more room she has in the nextfit. She is older than the baby you will use it for but maybe it will help you decide. She is 22 months 27lbs and 33 or 34 inches I think.

If this will help you let me know and if not I will skip it.

MommyShannon

Oh, if cost doesn't become an issue at all, I'd totally get a Peg convertible. I haven't seen one , but the reviews indicate it's like a deluxe Britax.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've owned most of these in my Pilot, they are hit-and-miss but here is some fit-to-car info:

(It's a 2006, so LATCH only second row outboard.)

Graco Mysize - had this (I think it was a Size4Me, doesn't really matter though) installed second row passenger side. It was short on legroom and I didn't love the install UNTIL I reclined the second row seatback a single click - it seemed to nest the S4M right in there, I loved the install and much better on legroom. I was using it for a 40" 4yo, before they made some changes (new buckle, removed 40" restriction, allowed outer crotch strap usage) so I didn't love it, but for a new baby, it would probably be great. I also have photos of it in the third row, so it must have installed okay back there - I am guessing the second row had to be moved all the way up.

Combi Coccoro - I had a really difficult time with this seat in the Pilot. It was a great outboard install, but where I needed it was in a center seat, and it felt like I was consistently reinstalling to get a tight install. YMMV. It did fit in the third row with the second row NOT quite all the way up, which is the only seat that did that for me. I just could never get a great install due to FOTB seatbelts and long buckle stalks. Installed with LATCH might make it a whole new bird though.

Britax Marathon - I am guessing you mean the MA70? I had a RA50 (so classic Marathon shell) and ended up moving kiddo out of it - I think I am just not a huge Britax lover. I turned an older kiddo FFing to move the RA50 kiddo into her seat, but then again, the RA50 kiddo was 3.5 so lack of leg room was to be expected! He was fine comfort-wise, I was just struggling to buckle around the legs. But the install was fine, I think I only had him second row driver.

Chicco Nextfit - love love LOVE the NextFit RFing LATCH install. I am not much of a LATCH user, but I haven't even tried the seatbelt install, outside of our test bench. It installs in a reasonbly compact manner. I haven't tried it in the 3rd row, but if it fits back there you'll need it upright as possible with the second row slid all of the way forward. It's bulky but I can seriously install the seat RF or FF in no time flat, so for me I would consider it easy to move around. I really like the space age/Euro design of the seat, but I think that's a personal preference thing, and it doesn't seem any huger than any other large convertible seat to me.

Obviously those are all just my opinions but thought it might help to have some input in the same vehicle :)

steph

I have a britax advocate and a nextfit. Tomorrow I will try to post some pics of dd in each of them so you can see how much more room she has in the nextfit. She is older than the baby you will use it for but maybe it will help you decide. She is 22 months 27lbs and 33 or 34 inches I think. If this will help you let me know and if not I will skip it.

How much bigger is the Nextfit compared to the Advocate?

I've owned most of these in my Pilot, they are hit-and-miss but here is some fit-to-car info: (It's a 2006, so LATCH only second row outboard.) Graco Mysize - had this (I think it was a Size4Me, doesn't really matter though) installed second row passenger side. It was short on legroom and I didn't love the install UNTIL I reclined the second row seatback a single click - it seemed to nest the S4M right in there, I loved the install and much better on legroom. I was using it for a 40" 4yo, before they made some changes (new buckle, removed 40" restriction, allowed outer crotch strap usage) so I didn't love it, but for a new baby, it would probably be great. I also have photos of it in the third row, so it must have installed okay back there - I am guessing the second row had to be moved all the way up. Combi Coccoro - I had a really difficult time with this seat in the Pilot. It was a great outboard install, but where I needed it was in a center seat, and it felt like I was consistently reinstalling to get a tight install. YMMV. It did fit in the third row with the second row NOT quite all the way up, which is the only seat that did that for me. I just could never get a great install due to FOTB seatbelts and long buckle stalks. Installed with LATCH might make it a whole new bird though. Britax Marathon - I am guessing you mean the MA70? I had a RA50 (so classic Marathon shell) and ended up moving kiddo out of it - I think I am just not a huge Britax lover. I turned an older kiddo FFing to move the RA50 kiddo into her seat, but then again, the RA50 kiddo was 3.5 so lack of leg room was to be expected! He was fine comfort-wise, I was just struggling to buckle around the legs. But the install was fine, I think I only had him second row driver. Chicco Nextfit - love love LOVE the NextFit RFing LATCH install. I am not much of a LATCH user, but I haven't even tried the seatbelt install, outside of our test bench. It installs in a reasonbly compact manner. I haven't tried it in the 3rd row, but if it fits back there you'll need it upright as possible with the second row slid all of the way forward. It's bulky but I can seriously install the seat RF or FF in no time flat, so for me I would consider it easy to move around. I really like the space age/Euro design of the seat, but I think that's a personal preference thing, and it doesn't seem any huger than any other large convertible seat to me. Obviously those are all just my opinions but thought it might help to have some input in the same vehicle :)

This does help!

I wonder if the new MA70 is much different install wise than the old Marathons though? I had no issues installing the older Marathon in my Pilot.

Carrie_R

I would say pretty different, the shell is a different shape. NannyKid has a MA70 and I've put it in her parents' SUVs several times. It's an easy install there with LATCH - I would guess it's the same in the Pilot but I've never tried. Their main objection is that it's short on legroom; it's also short in the shell, IMO. On the plus side, I expect it would fit well RF (and actually, eventually probably FF on the 40 portion) into the 3rd row, well, at least as well as anything RFs back there.

steph

I would say pretty different, the shell is a different shape. NannyKid has a MA70 and I've put it in her parents' SUVs several times. It's an easy install there with LATCH - I would guess it's the same in the Pilot but I've never tried. Their main objection is that it's short on legroom; it's also short in the shell, IMO. On the plus side, I expect it would fit well RF (and actually, eventually probably FF on the 40 portion) into the 3rd row, well, at least as well as anything RFs back there.

That's interesting. So the shell is shorter than the old MA? Wonder why they changed it...

The baby is in a Keyfit right now, I was just thinking it would be a pain to install it every time we go somewhere since I don't have a base (and getting one doesn't make much sense, I'd rather put the money toward a convertible.

What about the RA? Is it just a complete waste? How long to kids last RF?

Carrie_R

Yep, definitely shorter. My understanding is that they changed it so it could RF in compact spaces better.

As far as the RA goes (are you asking about the RA50, same shell as the old Marathon, or the new RA55, same shell as the MA70?) I am probably the wrong person to ask. I am just not a lover of Britax convertibles - personal preference, nothing wrong with them of course! If you are a lover of Britax convertibles, someone else who is would probably give more compatible advice :)

steph

Yep, definitely shorter. My understanding is that they changed it so it could RF in compact spaces better. As far as the RA goes (are you asking about the RA50, same shell as the old Marathon, or the new RA55, same shell as the MA70?) I am probably the wrong person to ask. I am just not a lover of Britax convertibles - personal preference, nothing wrong with them of course! If you are a lover of Britax convertibles, someone else who is would probably give more compatible advice :)

So the RA 50 has the same shell as the old MA? This is so confusing! I hate that they changed their seats so much, lol!

steph

I will check them out. But I'm guessing the Peg is pricey? I'm not familiar with Pria, is that a brand or the seat name. Man so much has changed since Ryan was in a convertible!!

Found the Pria. Looks nice. I will have to go to the store and really take a look.

What's the consensus on the. Nextfit? I just love Chicco overall so I'm drawn to it.

thekatie

Found the Pria. Looks nice. I will have to go to the store and really take a look.

I know installing can be pretty individual (I mean, they're the same, but different people feel differently about the same install)... But I LOATHE with the fires of a thousand burning suns, absolutely HATE, installing the Pria rear facing with a seatbelt. I simply won't use the seat if I can't install with LATCH. I find it insanely easy with LATCH rear facing, and forward facing it's easy with the seatbelt or the LATCH, but personally I hate it with seatbelt.

It's one of my favorite seats, and J2 loves it, I just really hate that one type of install. Not everyone feels the same (just like I've never had any trouble installing a Radian with the seatbelt, but I read all the time about people complaining), but I would definitely try it out before buying if ease of seatbelt install is important to you.

steph

Just got the baby's stats. At 2 months she is 14 lbs, 12 oz. 23.5 in. I think she will be on the bigger side. So I need to take that into consideration too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC