Question Advocate or Frontier for 4yo

justhat

4yo currently sits in a Britax Advocate, which I love and she does also. I was recently hit by another car and it was likely just under the cutoff Britax suggests to replace the car seat, so we're going to go ahead and replace it to be safe.

Initially I was replacing it with the same seat, but then I started thinking that since she is 4 now, maybe I should just get a Frontier or Pinnacle instead. But then, she is only 40" and 31lbs so she still has a while to go before outgrowing the advocate and I have a Frontier from my 10yo I can pass down.

Thoughts on which would be better? My older ones have frontiers but the advocate looks more comfortable to me so that had me leaning towards another one, but not sure it is worth it.

ADS

Keeanh

I wouldn't get an Advocate for a 4yo. The Frontier would be a better choice out of the two. Is insurance paying for this, or are you replacing out of pocket? When does the 10yo's Frontier expire? Do you have any younger children?

Athena

Are you concerned about the FR being more upright? All I know is my kids both found the FRs very comfortable and did not have head slump when sleeping in them. Maybe let her try it out and see what she thinks?

justhat

Yeah, just the upright thing. My older ones never complain, but the Advocate just looks cushier. Hearing others like it too makes me think I should just go with that.

I do have a younger one, kids are 5 months, 4yo, 7.5yo and 10yo. My 10yo's frontier expires before my 4yo will outgrow it, but by that point she could use the 7yo's Frontier (which is newer) or his Parkway.

Little guy I have in a Chaperone but will replace that with an Advocate as he's getting to heavy for me to carry anyway so it mostly stays in my car, and he is the last baby so no need for an infant seat.

Insurance is paying (as the reported speed the guy was traveling when he hit me is over the rec., just not really sure he was actually going that fast. Hit and run so hard to be sure. So they are paying but assuming his is found guilty of his crime, the court sent a reimbursement form for him to pay for the seats.

gigi

I'd get the advocate from insurance because it is much more expensive than the Frontier. When you need to move the baby to a convertible, pass the advocate down and buy the 4 year old another seat.

Or, if you are replacing both, I'd just get one of each.

bnsnyde

My kids are huge, but if yours are tiny the Advocate could be a good choice. I love that seat. We have one but not in use since we do three seats in a row.
It does do 3 in a row in our second row of the van if it's RF.

The Frontier 90 we have is nice, but I find it super, super hard to tighten. Drives me nuts. I almost can't stand it anymore.

The Advocate is a breeze with everything. I just really like it!

justhat

That too, no comparison in ease of installation. The advocate, 2 minutes and it is done. Frontier, ugh, I could be in there all day getting it tight!

Athena

That too, no comparison in ease of installation. The advocate, 2 minutes and it is done. Frontier, ugh, I could be in there all day getting it tight!

The Frontier 90 or the old 85? Do you know about the new click tight? It's the quickest install invented. It might be quicker than latching in our boosters. I do find our 90 harness a bit harder to tighten than our 85, but that probably varies by vehicle. (My favorite harness adjusters were on our old Nautis, but the kids outgrew them too quickly.) Overall I find our 90 very easy to use, but then again, with practice I can get the 85 installed in just a few minutes. Still, the 90 is so much easier. If you're not paying, gigi has a good point about getting the more expensive seat if you'll be needing both anyway. After all, you paid for the advocate and you didn't cause the collision, so you deserve to get your money's worth.

tl01

We love our frontier 90. Easiest seat to install. I would go that route for a 4 year old unless you are passing the seat down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC