Harmony Defender

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I bought this for a back up seat for my 4.5yr old DD to use in my 17yr olds Xterra for the very rare times he takes her to school and I have to say, for $100, I am impressed!

ADS

EmmaGrace'sMom

I got one for $60 clearanced at Walmart and I was less than impressed with the super short crotch strap, Ellie complained that it was too "tight." So it promptly went back, I don't think I even installed it. I would have liked it a lot better if the crotch strap had been normal.

Keeyamah

I got one for $60 clearanced at Walmart and I was less than impressed with the super short crotch strap, Ellie complained that it was too "tight." So it promptly went back, I don't think I even installed it. I would have liked it a lot better if the crotch strap had been normal.

They lengthened the strap and were offering longer ones to current owners, IIRC.

mom of six

We love ours. I have been using it for my 3.5 year old since he went FF. We got the longer crotch strap and it fits him fine.

MotoMommaNH

Do we know if they sell it with the longer crotch strap now or if you still have to request a longer one separately?

TXmom2

I just scored two at my local Walmart for $69 each. Too late to open tonight but will asap tomorrow ! Hoping this solves my cramped back seat dilemma in hubby's car. .

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
Mine came with a short crotch strap, but I don't know the DOM. I didn't even check it! DD has only tried it in the house and wasn't bothered, but I may go ahead and request one.

TXmom2

Our DOM is March 2013 :rolleyes: Not great, but not too bad for such a deal I guess. I can't tell if the crotch straps are short or not...they fit my little ones fine. We gained almost 3 inches in the center of the rear seat installing 2 Defenders (latch) tonight :cool: :dance::dance:

Last edited:

TeenaMarie

I feel like I've got to be the only one but I don't like the defender. I've tried very hard to like it, my best friend LOVES hers(has bought two, prefers it to her Nautilus') but I cannot stand it. My mom picked it up to be used as a spare seat for my niece for $45. I've only been able to get it properly installed without a hassle in the 05 cherokee so it's taken over the Nautilus' position in the Altima and the Nautilus has become a spare.

But I haven't switched it to the longer crotch buckle, ordered it as soon as I assembled the Defender but J's not bothered by it so I've not bothered.

Gidgetc13

I also really want to love the Defender but I have had a heck of a time with installation. I've tried it in 3 vehicles and have only achieved an acceptable install outboard with latch. I have yet to get a good install with a seat belt. I bought it hoping to use it in the center seat of my car instead of the FF Radian I currently have there, but I can't get it installed in that position at all. I think it is just incompatible with my center seat, but I can install it outboard. Right now it is sitting in my garage. I bought it for $79, so we figured we would hang on to it as a backup seat even if I can't get in installed where I currently want it. I need to play around with it more to see if I can fit it in a different position in one of my 3 across set ups, and to figure out its quirks. I thought it would be easier to install than a Radian, but so far I have a much easier time with the Radian! We should be able to use it eventually, but might have to wait until I turn my 3 year old around which won't be for awhile.

Mine came with a short crotch strap, but it was about a year old when I bought it. I emailed Harmony and got the longer one so that I would have it.

MotoMommaNH

I have heard other people struggling with seat belt installs also - seems to be a much more secure install with LATCH for most.

TXmom2

I think the "v shape" bottom has a lot to do with some of the install problems too. We can't use it in the center position because the center hump and "v" bottom make for a very unstable surface. It's great in those recessed seating areas though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC