Nuna Pipa vs. Peg 4.35 -

jordansmom

Which would you choose and why?

I made it to a baby boutique in the area today and was able to play with the Pipa. It was very nice! I also checked out the Cybex Q while there and have played with the Peg 4.35 twice at BBB previously. Definitely crossed off the Q (or 2 for that matter) off the list.

This will be baby #3 and there is potential for a #4 in another 2-3 years. Vehicle it will predominately be in is a 2014 Honda Odyssey. Will likely be installed driver's side outboard second row with a Peg Convertible on the passenger side and a FR85 in the center third row. It's possible I might do a three across in the second row at some point, but it's not necessary.

For the Pipa: I liked the rigid latch, rebound bolsters, dream drape, and light weight of the carrier.

For the Peg 4.35: I liked the rebound bar, two piece infant padding, light weight, and no rethread harness.

Any factors I should take into consideration that I may not have thought about yet? My babies have been right around the 7 lb mark at birth and this baby seems to be about the same. Due beginning of July and would like to use the seat through April/May 2015. And if you were choosing, which color/pattern would you pick? That's the fun part!

Thanks everyone! I'd appreciate a tech's opinion and those from parents/caregivers as well!

ADS

monica-m

CPST Instructor
What about the Aton took it out of the running? I haven't seen the Peg in person yet so I can't really give an opinion about that seat, but I own a Pipa and really like it. I had to decide between the Pipa and the Aton 2 because the other seats were not out yet.

jordansmom

What about the Aton took it out of the running? I haven't seen the Peg in person yet so I can't really give an opinion about that seat, but I own a Pipa and really like it. I had to decide between the Pipa and the Aton 2 because the other seats were not out yet.

I don't care for the way it looks in general(sorry!), the canopy even on the Q was minimal, it was considerably heavier then the Pipa and Peg 4.35, and as great of a safety feature it may be I think I'd just get annoyed with the extra step of using the LSP arm thingies.

Any quirks with your Pipa? Are you using it with a stroller at all?

monica-m

CPST Instructor
I find that with the Pipa, you have to pull the extra slack from the hip area every time you tighten the harness because slack seems to get stuck there otherwise. I have stuck the seat in my BJCM a few times by just wedging it in to the seat and putting the stroller harness straps through the seat belt guides that you use for a baseless install because I didn't buy an adaptor. Baby ends up being worn most of the time anyway so car seat in the stroller wasn't a huge priority when I was getting my baby gear.

jordansmom

I find that with the Pipa, you have to pull the extra slack from the hip area every time you tighten the harness because slack seems to get stuck there otherwise. I have stuck the seat in my BJCM a few times by just wedging it in to the seat and putting the stroller harness straps through the seat belt guides that you use for a baseless install because I didn't buy an adaptor. Baby ends up being worn most of the time anyway so car seat in the stroller wasn't a huge priority when I was getting my baby gear.

Stroller adapter isn't that important to me either for the same reason.

Two of my concerns with the Pipa are tightening the straps as you mentioned and the lack of recline adjustment with the rigid latch base.

I wish I could put the dream drape on the Peg seat:cool:

wavegal

I have been considering those 2 as well and I think I will definitely be going with the peg since I think the load leg will end up being in the way and I like that I can use the handle as an ARB on the peg. I do like the covers on the pegs better too, I am leaning towards the pois covers or cream to match my BJCS.

Aurezalia

Between those two, I'd definitely go with the Pipa. I LOVE the load leg, rigid LATCH, and dream drape, and it's so lightweight. Such an impressive seat. The new Peg is pretty darn good-lookin', but it just doesn't have those awesome features the Pipa does. And if you're worried about stroller compatibility, I guess the Pipa does work on Maxi Cosi adapters. :)

Admin

Admin - Webmaster
Between those two, I'd definitely go with the Pipa. I LOVE the load leg, rigid LATCH, and dream drape, and it's so lightweight. Such an impressive seat. The new Peg is pretty darn good-lookin', but it just doesn't have those awesome features the Pipa does. And if you're worried about stroller compatibility, I guess the Pipa does work on Maxi Cosi adapters. :)

I'm a big fan of load legs and rigid LATCH as well. That said, I have the 4-35 now and it is very nice overall. Hard to go wrong with either one I think. And the Aton Q looks great, too.

Must be nice to have all these great choices!

jordansmom

I'm a big fan of load legs and rigid LATCH as well. That said, I have the 4-35 now and it is very nice overall. Hard to go wrong with either one I think. And the Aton Q looks great, too. Must be nice to have all these great choices!
Have there been any concerns with achieving a newborn recline angle on the Pipa? I wish it had more adjustability! I really like the safety advances of the rigid latch and foot prop, so it makes me question even considering something else. I have to remind myself the Peg will be safe too! It may come down to letting DH pick between the two since he would be gone using the SR35 we already have.

Any chance of a Peg or Pipa giveaway?!

jordansmom

And I meant to ask if anyone has the links to the testing that was shared on the load leg and rigid latch? I thought I had read it on here, but haven't been able to re-find it. Thanks!

monica-m

CPST Instructor
There is some recline adjustment with the Pipa base. The seat has quite a bit of internal recline and we didn't have any issues getting a newborn appropriate recline angle even in the bucketed seats in DH's G8. I also have had no issues with the foot prop being in the way.

Last edited:

hope41more

I'm so glad you posted this thread! We have a squish coming in 4 months, and I'm tossed up between these three seats. I was leaning Aton Q, but the info on these seats in this thread has been interesting. Where did you go that you got to play with all three?

jordansmom

They're is some recline adjustment with the Pipa base. The seat has quite a bit of internal recline and we didn't have any issues getting a newborn appropriate recline angle even in the bucketed seats in DH's G8. I also have had no issues with the foot prop being in the way.

The recline adjustment that they showed me in the store was either in or out. Is there further adjustment to it? Glad to hear you find the internal seating is appropriate though!

I'm so glad you posted this thread! We have a squish coming in 4 months, and I'm tossed up between these three seats. I was leaning Aton Q, but the info on these seats in this thread has been interesting. Where did you go that you got to play with all three?

I am in NJ...BuyBuyBaby carries the new Peg and a somewhat local Boutqique called NessaLee Baby had the Nuna Pipa, Cybex 2, and Cybex Q. The saleseperson at the location I went to is also a CPST, knowledgeable and helpful. He was fun to talk to and get to be a "carseat junkie nerd" outside of c-s.org!

wavegal

jordansmom I took my tech class with their other tech :)

Monica you think on a daily basis walking by it wouldn't be an issue? (ie child getting to middle seat)

Yes a giveaway would be awesome ;)

jordansmom

jordansmom I took my tech class with their other tech :)

Monica you think on a daily basis walking by it wouldn't be an issue? (ie child getting to middle seat)

Yes a giveaway would be awesome ;)

With Mike?! He was great to talk to! I met the manager of the Freehold store as well (she was there filling in) and she is scheduled to take the course at Rutgers in the beginning of June. I'm soooo jealous and wish I could take it :(. There was a gap in course offerings at the end of 2013 and now that they've added the 2014 options, I haven't been able to coordinate childcare for my boys and am expecting new baby the end of June/beginning of July.

Wavegal- what vehicle are you planning on installing in? I'm usually on the app so didn't realize you were in NJ! Where exactly if you don't mind me asking?

Anyone have the testing links?

wavegal

Not too far since it sounds like you went to Livingston, I am in Morris by Morristown. I am installing it in my Honda Pilot 2nd row.

monica-m

CPST Instructor
Monica you think on a daily basis walking by it wouldn't be an issue?

I don't think it would be. The load leg does not stick out. It drops straight down from the base.

As far as the recline, it is just in or out. The rigid LATCH makes it different than most other seats. Is hard to explain. You would have to try it in your car.

jordansmom

I don't think it would be. The load leg does not stick out. It drops straight down from the base. As far as the recline, it is just in or out. The rigid LATCH makes it different than most other seats. Is hard to explain. You would have to try it in your car.

I meant to take a tape measure with me the other day, but forget. Would you mind measuring the front to back depth of the base with and without the seat attached?

jordansmom

Not too far since it sounds like you went to Livingston, I am in Morris by Morristown. I am installing it in my Honda Pilot 2nd row.

Hmmmm...we are VERY close to each other! Morris County here as well, just south of Morristown. Hoping to make it to Morristown Hospital for delivery this time.

If/when I pick a new seat, you are welcome to come play with it;)

wavegal

I delivered St Clares with my other 2 since it was its in town but debating a switch to morristown for this one. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC