No car? Long lasting infant seat? Or conv. from Birth?

bbartlettnfld

I'll preface this with an.. *Its totally not for me!*

Our good friends do not currently own their own vehicle. They are expecting soon and are starting to buy the things they will need for baby. They asked me what would be the best choice for a car seat. should they just go with a convertible as th dad wants too, or go with a long lasting infant seat? I was thinking the Onboard Air 35 as I think it will last longer than the snugride, seems a little roomier in the shoulders.

We borrowed the the original 35 lb Dorel Infant seat when DD was born 11 yrs ago, and at that time a friend tried it out to see if it would really fit a toddler, and their 30lb 18 month old still had some height room. I think they should go with the infant seat but figured I would ask others especially those who do not have their own vehicles what they thought.

ADS

Keeanh

If they're frequently borrowing vehicles, getting rides, or taking cabs, I would definitely go with a baseless infant seat as long as possible. If they rarely use a passenger vehicle (eg. take public transit), and when they do it's a borrowed or rented one that they drive (rather than getting dropped off & picked up places by other people) then a convertible might be more economical.

My reasoning is that it's easier to take an infant seat with you. It's easier and faster to install a baseless infant seat if people are waiting for you. Generally speaking it's easier to get a baseless infant seat right every time than a convertible.

BUT if the seat won't be used a whole lot an infant seat might be a waste of money. If they borrow or rent vehicles then they would have the time to install a convertible and be able to leave it installed the whole time they have the use of the vehicle.

seb3244

As far as I know they do more taxi and borrowing of vehicles than bus rides.

If they take taxi's places do they really want to haul around a convertible car seat at the mall or grocery store? I say baseless infant bucket for sure.

Another thing to mention to them is this
- if just one of them is going somewhere (say it's just mom) and they have a bucket then the baby can be sitting in the bucket when mom installs the seat. If mom is alone and has a convertible where is the baby when she all alone installing the seat? She can't set the baby on the ground while she installs the convertible.

Yeah I think the OB35 sounds like it would be a great fit for them. It's light and will last a considerable amount of time. I think the convenience will be worth the cost of buying two seats, especially in our climate during the winter ;)

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah I think the OB35 sounds like it would be a great fit for them. It's light and will last a considerable amount of time. I think the convenience will be worth the cost of buying two seats, especially in our climate during the winter ;)

The OnBoard 35 has a 29" height limit on it, unless that has changed VERY recently. What about the Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35? It's lightweight, with 35lbs and 32" limits on it, it's good and long lasting. Also, it's on sale this week for $180: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=28424796

Here's a 25lb nearly 32" 2 year old in it:
IMG_5051.jpg

The OnBoard 35 has a 29" height limit on it, unless that has changed VERY recently. What about the Graco SnugRide Click Connect 35? It's lightweight, with 35lbs and 32" limits on it, it's good and long lasting. Also, it's on sale this week for $180: http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=28424796

Here's a 25lb nearly 32" 2 year old in it:
IMG_5051.jpg

Ahhh, yes. I forgot about that. Thanks :)

P.S What a cutie! Her eyes are beautiful!

Carolinadaisy

I think the board air also has a 32" limit. It's listed in the car-seat.org database that way and also states 32" on the safety 1st website. Whether a child that tall will actually fit....I don't know.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
That may be a US spec then. I wish it had a 32" limit but the ones I have seen state 29", which is disappointing.

And the cutie in the seat above - not mine, but a model for the click connect when it was reviewed by a tech friend!

SnoGurl

I think an infant seat, especially a long lasting one is the way to go, especially if they are taking a taxi. Just way easier to have baby in the seat and just baseless install, rather then juggle baby, convertible, all of baby's stuff, etc.

Carolinadaisy

That may be a US spec then. I wish it had a 32" limit but the ones I have seen state 29", which is disappointing. And the cutie in the seat above - not mine, but a model for the click connect when it was reviewed by a tech friend!

Sorry! It is a us spec. I missed that this was in Canada. I'm on the app and was browsing most recent posts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC