Traveling to Ireland w/2 kids

mairep

We are flying to Ireland next month with our two children:
DS- 3yrs old, 29.5lbs, 38"
DD- 13mos, ~23lbs, 28"
Both kids currently ride RF in Radian RXTs, but we don't want to lug such heavy seats across the Atlantic, so we are looking for an inexpensive lightweight alternative for DS that will allow him to RF (DD will use our extra seat, which is an Evenflo Tribute Sport).
TIA!

ADS

mairep

I should clarify: I need a seat that can RF him in a car once we get there. My DD will not have a seat on the plane (which I'm pretty upset about, but that's a different issue), so DS can use either seat on the plane. He has outgrown the Evenflo RF by height, but I'm okay with him FF on the plane if necessary. I think he would be more comfortable RF.

cantabdad

We will be flying Delta to Boston and then Aer Lingus to Ireland.

Aer Lingus doesn't allow rear-facing carseats. Their website seems to imply that you also can't use a carseat (of any kind) for a child over 2, though you can write to them and get advance permission to do so. (I e-mailed once and they wrote back saying that a 3-year-old could use a forward facing seat if it was FAA approved. We never ended up taking the trip, so I don't know what things are like in practice once you're onboard.)

A Britax seat like the Roundabout or Marathon won't be the lightest option, but they are very easy to install in most vehicles and most models have built-in lockoffs, which will come in handy if your Irish car does not have automatic locking retractor (ALR) seatbelts or Isofix/LATCH.

biddyk8

Yeah he will have to forward face on the aer lingus leg. They are pretty good to deal with usually in person (their customer service on the phone leaves a lot to be desired though). I wouldn't even mention his age I don't think they will bat an eyelid. I think they age 2 rule is a bit like the rule that strollers are free after 2, its there but they will never actually charge you it.

I would get him a sureride then it is light like a tribute but has a 40inch rf limit. The last few times we have flown aer lingus there have been a few empty seats so ask and see if they have one you can put your dd in, you'dd have to forward face but its better than nothing if they have the free seat.

If you are renting a car there it should have isofix. We go there nearly every year and we have always got a car with isofix.

mairep

Wow, it didn't even occur to me that they might not let me use the car seat or that they might object to it being RF. Do you think if I just install the seat without asking anybody anything, they might just not say anything? Maybe I should get my hands on a CARES harness just in case.

biddyk8

Car type safety seats may be used by children aged between 6 months and less than 36 months - in order to accommodate a child aged 36 months or older in a car seat; the child must be within the size and weight limits for that seat and special IAA approval is required, please contact specialassistance@aerlingus.com as soon as possible in advance of the flight.
Passengers may purchase a seat for the infant at the appropriate fare where the infant can sit in an approved, forward facing car seat provided by the passenger. The car seat must be restrained on the aircraft seat by the normal aircraft lap strap. Aer Lingus do not permit rearward facing car seats. The seat must be a purpose-designed children's car seat with a 5-point harness and must be of a type approved for use in motor vehicles and aircraft and bearing labels to this effect:

U.S. – This must display an FAA sticker and must display these words. "Certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".

EUROPEAN - This must display a CE sticker and must display these words. "Certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".
In order to ensure the car seat will fit into the aircraft seat please ensure the seat width does not exceed 17 inches (430mm).
Infants are not permitted to occupy exit rows or the rows immediately forward or aft of an emergency exit row.
Aer Lingus Regional (Flight Nos 3000-4000 operated by Aer Arann)
Infants under the age of 2 years may travel provided that they sit on an adult’s lap (one infant per adult) and a fee is charged per sector.
No baby / car seats are allowed in the cabin of the aircraft.
A maximum of 8 infants only to be carried on board the aircraft for each flight.
An AMSAFE CARES Harness that is supplied by the passenger may be used for securing children and children with disabilities, please contact specialassistance@aerlingus.com if use of a harness is required.

Is their official policy, I would think you would be ok to take it on board and just install it. I would email them and ask if you want to be sure or even just have the email as reference if your questioned at the plane.

newyorkDOC

If they don't allow me to use the seat on board, does that mean that they'll make me check it?
yes bc how else would it get there? I'm guessing gate check though as you will probably check in straight through to Ireland... So you'd go directly to the gate in Boston. So AL wouldn't even see you had a seat until you tried to board with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC