99 Suburban tether/latch help pls!

kecmom

We are changing up the carseat configuration in anticipation of a new baby and I'm confused abt the tethering options after re-reading the owners manual.

I originally asked the dlr from whom we purchased the vehicle abt the tethers/latch options and was told that it can't be retrofitted for latch and that you can't tether a FF carseat in the 2nd row but you can tether in the 2 outboard positions in the 3rd row.

Now, I just read (in the online manual) that you can have tether anchors installed for the 3rd row center (not necessary for us) AND the second row. :eek:
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/chevrolet/1999suburban.pdf
Which is right?

Also, can the vehicle be retrofitted w/latch? Now I'm second guessing everything I was told! :confused:

I'll have 1 FF MA outboard 3rd row, 1 FF MA outboard 2nd row and 1 RF MA inside 2nd row.

TIA!

ADS

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
We are changing up the carseat configuration in anticipation of a new baby and I'm confused abt the tethering options after re-reading the owners manual.

I originally asked the dlr from whom we purchased the vehicle abt the tethers/latch options and was told that it can't be retrofitted for latch and that you can't tether a FF carseat in the 2nd row but you can tether in the 2 outboard positions in the 3rd row.

Now, I just read (in the online manual) that you can have tether anchors installed for the 3rd row center (not necessary for us) AND the second row. :eek:
https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/chevrolet/1999suburban.pdf
Which is right?

Also, can the vehicle be retrofitted w/latch? Now I'm second guessing everything I was told! :confused:

I'll have 1 FF MA outboard 3rd row, 1 FF MA outboard 2nd row and 1 RF MA inside 2nd row.

TIA!

The sales person was correct on part of the retrofitting. You can not get LATCH (lower anchors) retrofitted. Now top tethers usually can be retrofitted but you will need to contact GM or the dealer on what seating positions they will retrofit.

kecmom

The sales person was correct on part of the retrofitting. You can not get LATCH (lower anchors) retrofitted. Now top tethers usually can be retrofitted but you will need to contact GM or the dealer on what seating positions they will retrofit.

Thanks- could it vary from dlr to dlr though? The manual clearly states that it can be done but they definitely told me it wasn't an option...

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Thanks- could it vary from dlr to dlr though? The manual clearly states that it can be done but they definitely told me it wasn't an option...

No it would be straight across the board for all vehicles. Now some dealers may not want to do it and that is why they said that to you. But, Call GM and talk to them. Also they will be able to tell you all about their tether installation program where they will install at least 1 top tether free of charge.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Right, according to the LATCH manual, GM dealers are supposed to retrofit one top tether anchor in retrofittable 1989 through pre-2001 GM models free of charge. The dealer also needs to lookup GM Service Bulletin No. 99-09-40-004 dated January 2000 for details on the top tether anchor retrofit policy. The LATCH manual doesn't specify detailed top tether anchor retrofit part numbers for GM models because parts change frequently, and says to contact the dealership for the current part information.

Good luck, and hope this helps to get the ball rolling at the dealership.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Thanks for the info! I'll be contacting a diff dlr today w/that info.
Having just come across this website, http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html I'm curious abt the tether connector straps. (I called Britax but was on hold for more than 20 mins before giving up-) Any info on them? It seems that it would allow for a safe tether w/out installing anchors. Opinions?

The Britax tether connector strap is for rear face tethering only. It can't be used for a forward facing car seat. You are going to have to get tether anchors installed in your vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC