Question *PIC ADDED TO THREAD* backless booster in a Ford Ecape

E&A0607

It's grandmas car - an 08 or 09 - and we can't get a good backless fit. Anyone have any suggestions?? Or experience? the problem is the belt isn't touching her shoulder it's too far from her body. we have a parkway SGL in there, but both my kids will be riding in that car more frequently now so I need two seats :)

Last edited:
ADS

HappyHoo

Re: backless booster in a Ford Ecape

I wonder if the Cosco Topsider would help since it routes the shoulder belt differently.

Or would one of them still fit in a cheaper hbb like the Big Kid Sport or TB? Then hopefully by the time the back is outgrown on that one, the shoulder belt fit might be better on the biggest kid in lbb mode and smaller one moves to Parkway.

E&A0607

We tried the top side. the belt wasn't across her chest in that one. it was in a funny spot across her chest because of the way it routed. the shoulder belt cut real high on her torso.

if i could figure out how to delete older pics so I could post new ones from my phone I would :)

She's too tall in the torso for the Graco or similar height HBB. Younger DD is approaching the same issue which means that one SGL in grandmas car isn't going to cut it ( we usually throw an affix in for younger dd if they are both riding with grandma).

E&A0607

I don't know if I should post this in the main forum or what, but is this how the Top Side is supposed to fit? This is the best fit I can get in this car with a LBB. Otherwise the belt is too low on her shoulder (like she is too tall with the booster, but way too small to not need it) or it's even father out from her shoulder.

Baylor

I use a literider in my moms escape and it works perfectly. But hers is a 14

That shoulder belt should be on her body not so far like that.

E&A0607

And that's closer than any other booster we have tried. I will try the lite rider again but it only worked in the middle and I can't fit it next to the parkway.

E&A0607

the belt on the lite rider is down off her shoulder almost. ugh. guess she gets the parkway :) younger dd barely fits in the affix with back. but I will just keep her in it for now and worry about it when she is def too tall!!

E&A0607

Yup doesn't pull it any closer. the seatbelt comes out if the side of the car in front almost of where the back of the seat is. if that makes sense.

E&A0607

7y8m. 52-53lbs. 49ish". allll torso. She's small, but her torso is long. So if she rides in a HBB it has to be taller than the Gracos. Her shoulders were even with the red guide on the Affix a few mos ago, so the belt doesn't lay properly on her shoulder.

E&A0607

There is. and the lite rider works there. but I had a hard time getting her in there next to the parkway I need for little sister. maybe I will try that combo again. the belt def fits correctly there. but getting both in and buckled was tricky. the seat goes up a tiny bit in the middle. i will try that in the morning. it's that or she has to ride in the parkway.

is there another tall booster that i could get? the headrests in my moms car are rather cooperative even if the seatbelt geometry is not :) that way I don't have to worry about little sister outgrowing the affix soon and I will have two tall boosters in there.

aside from the belt not flush enough in her shoulder is that how the top side should fit? the shoulder belt goes over her chest/belly in such a different way with that one and I don't know if it's supposed to.

Baylor

I would keep her in the middle and shift the parkway a little to make it fit. I always go by least protected is in the middle so to me that would be the lbb rider.

Never used a topside in person so I can not help with that.

E&A0607

Thanks. I will try her in the middle or make her ride in the Parkway :)

There has to be other tall HBB though?

Baylor

I don't know. If you go to the car seat features forum it has all the stats for the boosters. Maybe that will help. I know it is frustrating the back of my caravan has the same problem. Dumb place to put the belt attachments on the sides.

E&A0607

agreed. I will go check. thanks.

funny thing is the lite rider works great in the third for of my caravan. ugh. different model year makes such a difference.

Baylor

Yep. We have a 2001. We are looking for a newer one this year. I am just now trying to figure out what year we want. We don't buy new cars. This last one we got a great deal on and have had it for 8 years. It was 3 years old when we got it.

But that back row is such a pain for boosters.

E&A0607

We have an 06. We got ours used too and next one will be also. But I think I want a Honda next time. Probably sometime in the fall for us!!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I don't actually like the laap-belt fit either. It looks like it is far enough down her thighs to cause a fulcrum effect and tilt up up off the seat rather than holding her down in a crash.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC