Cargo Net for back of SUV

niccig

After reading the post about unsecured items in the car, I need to get something for the back of my suv. I have 4 tie down hooks I can attach it too. I've seen those cargo organizers or the net that's just strung across the very back - I don't won't these, as it seems they caro will come out the top (is this correct?). I would like something that goes on top of the gear - including stroller, groceries and a costco run. Most cargo nets that I've seen are for the back of a pick up truck - any reason why one of those wouldn't work (assuming, I get one that will fit my cargo area.)

Thanks. Nicci

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
You could call a dealer of whatever make your car is--they might have one available as an accessory for your vehicle.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
When I had my Pilot, I ordered the Honda cargo net from a website for less than it would have been through the dealer. I used the net for groceries and small items and I bought some ratcheting cargo tie-downs for larger things like my stroller. The tie-downs can have very high weight limits and are widely available at hardware and sporting goods stores. The net didn't seem like it would hold anything too heavy in a crash, but I figured it was better than nothing for smaller items that wouldn't be adequately held down by straps.

niccig

This is the cargo net for my car - it's one of those that hangs across the opening to the cargo area

http://www.subarupartspeople.com/Se...21192099&year=06&productdesc=Cargo+Net+-+Rear

I wonder if this would be enough for groceries etc, as the top part of the net is open. It would stop items from moving around in the trunk, but wouldn't they come out the top in a bad crash, like a roll over scenario?

Thanks for your insights. I go on about DS being safe in his car seat, but I haven't done anything about the rest of the items in my car.

Nicci

UlrikeDG

Mine went over the top of the cargo and hooked to cargo anchors on the floor of the vehicle. That one doesn't look like it would be of much use for groceries and the like. I did find a couple of pictures of it being used horizontally, which I think would be better, but it's also quite small, compared to the one we had in our Pilot.

bajafloornet.jpg

UlrikeDG

Those rolling covers are really just for looks. They won't hold anything down in a crash. I'm not convinced most nets are too much better, but for smaller items, there aren't a lot of other options.

happyfrog

have you considered using large reusable fabric bags? I have 2 made by rubbermaid -they hold equiv of 4 bags of groceries each (paper bags) - i shop at aldi, lol. anyway, i regularly use them to also hold other car 'stuff'.

i never held much confidence in those cargo net things. stuff woulld still roll around a lot. seems to be a better idea to put it in zippered bags that one can secure with a bungee or soemthing to hooks in back of vehicle. just an idea.

hey, noticed you have a tribeca. i had looked at them online before we bought our used minivan (i LOVE subaru!) - and cried the day i handed over the keys of my impreza to the dealership after getting the van - but the tribeca, i was concerned about far back seat size - it just didn't seem big enough for car seats and or comfort seating. . . what are your views on this?

bettyann

niccig

My MIL has a net like that in the back of her 01 Forester. It holds some groceries but don't count on it to hold anything tightly. She has a rolling cover that covers the back of her car. I would get something like this: http://www.subaru.com/shop/accessories.jsp?model=TRIBECA&trim=5PASS&command=accessories the 11th down on the right hand column. I'm ordering something like that for my Pilot. HTH.

I have that rolling cover - it doesn't stay on properly, so it's in the garage. I don't think it'll hold much in a crash, but it'll probably be better than nothing.

I was thinking of a cargo net like this one. It's for a truck bed and it has 4 hooks at the corners for tie-downs. But I think it'll be too big for my suv.
http://www.cargogear.com/OneItemInfo.aspx?partnum=COCARGONETM

I do have some tie-down straps, so I can at least secure the stroller. I'll try the roller cover and maybe the subaru cargo organizer - it might not be the best, but it's better than nothing until I find something else. At the moment, it's totally open.

niccig

hey, noticed you have a tribeca. i had looked at them online before we bought our used minivan (i LOVE subaru!) - and cried the day i handed over the keys of my impreza to the dealership after getting the van - but the tribeca, i was concerned about far back seat size - it just didn't seem big enough for car seats and or comfort seating. . . what are your views on this?

bettyann

The 3rd row is tiny. We don't use it much, so it's not a bother to us, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who needs frequent access to the 3rd row. The interior cabin could be more spacious. We're going to look around at other cars mid-2008. If we do decide to get something else, I too will be crying. Love how it drives, not quite as good as my previous car, an impreza wagon, but so much better than other cars we tried. Maybe things have changed and we'll find something else too. Maybe not.

Connor's Mom

have you considered using large reusable fabric bags? I have 2 made by rubbermaid -they hold equiv of 4 bags of groceries each (paper bags) - i shop at aldi, lol. anyway, i regularly use them to also hold other car 'stuff'.

How would the bags properly secure items in a crash? I would think that the bags themselves heavy with groceries would be a large projectile as well. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC