Help convince someone that

seb3244

Newer is way safer than older. Including air bags and just built safer. I would like a 2005 ish chevy suburban with is like $5200-$7000. dh wants to spend no more than $3k and get like a 1993 chevy suburban.

I currently drive a 1997 ford f250 but need an SUV since dd2 is due next month & I will need to put a double stroller in the cargo area because I refuse to put it in the back of the truck. I need links, facts studies to show him that it is worth a little extra $ to get a 12 yr newer vehicle.

Thanks

ADS

Baylor

Well newer will have more safety features for sure.. but the 93 suburban is a tank. I would not feel unsafe in it.
It would need new seat belts because 20 years is too long to expect seat belts to still be okay. I would also look up recalls and such.

CarSafetyGuy

Unfortunately, the 2005 Suburban did not come with side airbags as a standard feature, so in that respect it's not any better than the 1993. Nor did it come with ESC standard. However, both were available as options. If the Suburban you're considering comes with either, or both, that would make it quite a lot safer than the 1993 Suburban.

jess71903

Ambassador
Could you approach it from a long-term cost perspective? A 20 year old car will have significantly higher repair costs (including those seatbelts) than a 9 year old vehicle. I'm also going to guess that there will be more lap-only seatbelts in a 1993 vs. a 2005, which will limit you as your kids get older and in boosters. You will also need to have top tethers installed for harnessed seats.

seb3244

Well newer will have more safety features for sure.. but the 93 suburban is a tank. I would not feel unsafe in it. It would need new seat belts because 20 years is too long to expect seat belts to still be okay. I would also look up recalls and such.

Do you just take it to a chevy dealership and have then put in new seat belts?

seb3244

Unfortunately, the 2005 Suburban did not come with side airbags as a standard feature, so in that respect it's not any better than the 1993. Nor did it come with ESC standard. However, both were available as options. If the Suburban you're considering comes with either, or both, that would make it quite a lot safer than the 1993 Suburban.
What is esc? I have never heard of it before

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Electronic stability control.

Vehicle safety features advance by leaps and bounds.

The argument of "older vehicles are tanks" and that "new vehicles are not as safe because look at how they get smashed up!" are common misconceptions. You WANT a vehicle to crumple in a crash, because it absorbs crash forces instead of sending those forces to the occupants.

Here's some interesting reading:
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/suburban/history.html

<snipped out most info except pertinent safety into>
Safety and environmental strides were made for 1994 with the debut of side door guard beams, a center high-mounted third brake light and CFC-free A/C refrigerant.

The number of safety features once again increased in 1995 with the addition of a driver side airbag and a brake/transmission interlock (which required the brake pedal to be depressed before the automatic gearbox could be shifted out of "park").

1997 brought a passenger side airbag. Electronic, variable-assist power steering was fitted that provided more assist at lower speeds (such as when parking) and less assist at higher speeds (to allow for better road feel).

Increased safety was the big news for 2004, as the half-ton models received Hydroboost brakes that provided even more power assist for improved pedal feel and modulation. A reminder for the right front passenger to "buckle up" also came online this year.

seb3244

Could you approach it from a long-term cost perspective? A 20 year old car will have significantly higher repair costs (including those seatbelts) than a 9 year old vehicle. I'm also going to guess that there will be more lap-only seatbelts in a 1993 vs. a 2005, which will limit you as your kids get older and in boosters. You will also need to have top tethers installed for harnessed seats.

He can fix anything mechanical that were to go wrong so that argument doesn't work unfortunately. The lap belts only would be something to consider. And the tether thing too. Another thing to think about is my 1997 ford f250 had to have top tethers put in but they only did it on the middle and the seat behind the driver. So the passenger seat doesn't have a top tether. Do all harnessed seats have to have a top tether? I ask because I install my nieces graco nautiluses quite often in my truck and thought top tether was optional. Also I have to uninstall my dd's britax advocate pull the bench forward to do the top tethers then reinstall all 3 seats. Also because of the angle of the top tether anchors they put in I have to twist the strap of the hook of the top tether otherwise it may get stuck latched on. It is not easily removable like in a car.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your input.

jess71903

Ambassador
Truck tethers are weird. In most of the ones I have dealt with (Mostly Fords) there are webbing loops behind each seat. You thread through the webbing loop directly behind the seat you are installing and clip it to the webbing loop next to it. I've only ever done 1 at a time, and can't remember the specific rules for tethering more than 1 seat. Anyway. Tethering in the US is optional, but highly, highly encouraged for it's safety benefits. I don't let my kids ride in an untethered seat unless there is no other option. We do happen to know that the Nautilus does well untethered, so if you absolutely have to, it's a good seat choice.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If budget is an issue, you really don't need a Suburban for two kids. Perhaps you could compromise on a smaller, cheaper, but newer vehicle?

gagenivy

I think for me the body style would be thought:)
My husband said to keep in mind (even for people who work on their own vehicles) mileage on an '05 vs a '93 would be a difference since the '05 would have newer technology.
I guess I kind of look at it as if it is affordable, wouldn't hubby want you in something you would be happier in for longer?

Keeanh

If the only problem with the truck is cargo room, what about getting a locking canopy for now? The longer you can wait to buy a new vehicle, the newer you'll be able to afford. I wouldn't get a suburban for 2 kids either, personally speaking.

As to your original question, I would look at how long each option will work for you. If you'd have to replace the 93 once your kids were out of harnesses, it might not look so great to your DH. Plus show him the list of improvements Anna found.

CarSafetyGuy

Yeah, I agree with everyone else that I wouldn't get a Suburban just for two kids, but if I were set on one, the '05 is a much better bet than the '93, both from a safety perspective as well as from a reliability perspective.

seb3244

Truck tethers are weird. In most of the ones I have dealt with (Mostly Fords) there are webbing loops behind each seat. You thread through the webbing loop directly behind the seat you are installing and clip it to the webbing loop next to it. I've only ever done 1 at a time, and can't remember the specific rules for tethering more than 1 seat. Anyway. Tethering in the US is optional, but highly, highly encouraged for it's safety benefits. I don't let my kids ride in an untethered seat unless there is no other option. We do happen to know that the Nautilus does well untethered, so if you absolutely have to, it's a good seat choice.

I am not sure what a webbing loop is but I will google it. Also the ones that ford recently installed in my truck look very similar to the ones in my sisters car. That is good to know that the nautilus does well untethered but I would rather have them tethered like you said.

seb3244

If budget is an issue, you really don't need a Suburban for two kids. Perhaps you could compromise on a smaller, cheaper, but newer vehicle?

I am very scared and anxious to ride in smaller cars. I really never get into vehicles that are not SUV's or trucks. Also my sis has a 4 & 6 yr old and we like to go places together and her car is a chevy cruise so we can't ride with her and her DH has their car a lot of the time so she has to ride with me or stay home all day long. That is another reason to want an SUV. And my double stroller is gigantic (but I can't return it and it was pricey :( ) so the cargo room for an SUV I feel is necessary.

seb3244

I think for me the body style would be thought:) My husband said to keep in mind (even for people who work on their own vehicles) mileage on an '05 vs a '93 would be a difference since the '05 would have newer technology. I guess I kind of look at it as if it is affordable, wouldn't hubby want you in something you would be happier in for longer?

He is slowly caving! Thanks to all this info I have showed him that all the mamas on here have provided:)

jjordan

I am very scared and anxious to ride in smaller cars. I really never get into vehicles that are not SUV's or trucks. Also my sis has a 4 & 6 yr old and we like to go places together and her car is a chevy cruise so we can't ride with her and her DH has their car a lot of the time so she has to ride with me or stay home all day long. That is another reason to want an SUV. And my double stroller is gigantic (but I can't return it and it was pricey :( ) so the cargo room for an SUV I feel is necessary.

Have you considered a minivan? You generally get more for your money (in terms of cargo and passenger space, safety features, and gas mileage) compared to an SUV.

seb3244

If the only problem with the truck is cargo room, what about getting a locking canopy for now? The longer you can wait to buy a new vehicle, the newer you'll be able to afford. I wouldn't get a suburban for 2 kids either, personally speaking. As to your original question, I would look at how long each option will work for you. If you'd have to replace the 93 once your kids were out of harnesses, it might not look so great to your DH. Plus show him the list of improvements Anna found.

This is true we could get a canopy but how do I prevent my stroller from sliding all the way up to the front? Very good idea though. I do ride with my sis and nieces a lot and they are 4 & 6 so that is another reason for wanting something larger (with more seats). Otherwise I would have to place my rear facing 2 yr old in the front seat of my truck to fit my 2 nieces and my baby (she is due to arrive in June) in the back 3 seats.
Yes I will show him the list of improvements for sure.
Thanks for your idea :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC