Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Car seat and plane tray

We will be traveling this summer and I need a car seat to take on the plane for my almost 4 year old son. He's around 35 lbs and 37 inches tall. We will also need this for our destination because I don't want to rent one from the rental car company for almost 2 weeks.

I'm considering the Evenflo Maestro and Harmony Defender but I'm open to other suggested seats too. My main question is, has anyone have any experience with any of these seats and were still able to use the plane's tray (for food, coloring, toys, DVD player)?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Car seat and plane tray

The only car seat that I have used on a plane that allowed my child to use the tray table was the Diono Radian.

I Have never flown with the ones you have mentioned.

Canadian CPST, Mommy to ,
    E 12 5 Steps!
    N 7 Monteray, Prkway & Clek

Senior Community Member happiness-and-balance's Avatar
    You can pop the cup holders off of the maestro, so I'd be willing to bet that it would work. The Diono Radian is sure to work.
    -Angela

Quote Originally Posted by happiness-and-balance View Post
    You can pop the cup holders off of the maestro, so I'd be willing to bet that it would work. The Diono Radian is sure to work.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard this too except you need to not put the cup holders on to begin with. They are hard to remove. You can get caps to cover the holes. http://carseatblog.com/22254/caps-fo...t-cup-holders/
    ETA: The comments on the link explain how some people have removed them after the fact.
    ~Shannon
    DD (11.5) Seatbelt; DS (9) Incognito; DD2 (7) Britax Parkway; DD3 (4.5) Graco Nautilus

6. Thank You from:

I've done the newer Chase (Maestro mould, lower weight limit) without the cupholders and the table was still slanted.
    Kate // CPST, SK Senior Checker, & Mom to M (12/2010)

We use an aftermarket [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Star-Kids-Snack-Play-Travel/dp/B000KJBFC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399914990&sr=8-1&keywords=soft+tray+car+seat"]soft tray[/ame]. I love that thing. The sides keep all DS's vehicles from rolling off the edge so I don't have to crawl underneath the seats in front of us to retrieve them. Since it is soft, it can be somewhat squished when packing.

Sorry, no experience with those seats.
    DS1&2: Driving, DS3: 5 Stepping, DS4: 12/09 Parkway SGL

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

I'd have him cross his legs and put a plane's pillow on his lap to use as a tray.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by MommyShannon View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've heard this too except you need to not put the cup holders on to begin with. They are hard to remove. You can get caps to cover the holes. http://carseatblog.com/22254/caps-fo...t-cup-holders/
    ETA: The comments on the link explain how some people have removed them after the fact.
    Thanks for the link. It certainly looks like the brings down the arms to a lower profile.