keeping the kids safe from the dog

jasminegrl

so we will be taking a road trip and I want to make sure I keep the kids safe if we are in an accident We have a 75lb dog and a Mazda 5. Both kids are still RF in the middle row In the cargo space with 3rd row seats folded down, I need to stick some luggage and the dog. I know I need to strap the luggage down, but how do i contain the dog to that space, there is no way for her crate to fit in my car. And is it safe to put items in the space between the RF car seats and the front seats?

ADS

mairep

We use a harness that loops through the seatbelt for our dog. Would you be able to leave one seat open in the third row so that you could access the seatbelt?

jasminegrl

not easily, it will make strapping the luggage down harder and then the luggage will be in the way of getting the dog out of the car at rest stops. plus she won't have enough space to lay down then.

Lenae

Can you put the dog on the floor in the footwell underneath the two RF seats? A short lead attached to the collar and wrapped around the seat track so the dog can't get up.

jasminegrl

Can you put the dog on the floor in the footwell underneath the two RF seats? A short lead attached to the collar and wrapped around the seat track so the dog can't get up.

no there isn't enough space imo, the console for the front seat kinda takes up the space. this image shows it a bit better than i can explain it http://www.cars-interior.com/pics/Mazda_Mazda5_interior.jpg

Is purchasing a new crate that would fit an option? Or would she be so smushed?

shes a lab german shephard mix and the space is too small she really needs an xxl crate but we have an xl crate and that still doesn't even fit.

maybe i'll just used bigger suitcases and use them as a barrier between the kids and the dog. obviously i would make sure they were tied down well.

oakster

Do you have cargo anchors in the back? Our harness can be linked to either the cargo anchors or the seatbelt (or LATCH anchors, but not for a dog that big--ours is the same size!) We've done that in rentals on occasion when the dog has had to share space with luggage. We have the Bergan harness.

Lemonade

What about those cargo grills? Not sure what they are called but they separate the occupant area from the cargo area in SUVs and wagons.

jasminegrl

Do you have cargo anchors in the back? Our harness can be linked to either the cargo anchors or the seatbelt (or LATCH anchors, but not for a dog that big--ours is the same size!) We've done that in rentals on occasion when the dog has had to share space with luggage. We have the Bergan harness.

yes there are 4 cargo tie down locations and 2 top tether anchors on the floor, that might work i'll see what i can find at the store.

jasminegrl

What about those cargo grills? Not sure what they are called but they separate the occupant area from the cargo area in SUVs and wagons.

i haven't looked into them, i don't really want anything that screws into the car interior, and the pressure mounted ones didn't seem safe if we were in an accident but it worth looking into i guess.

griffinej5

I think an immi pet buckle harness can attach to a tie down or tether anchor. The roadie ruff rider can be attached with a locking carabiner if you don't have a seatbelt to use.

agave

I think an immi pet buckle harness can attach to a tie down or tether anchor. The roadie ruff rider can be attached with a locking carabiner if you don't have a seatbelt to use.

The Ruff Rider is my favorite the dogs liked them too. Could you leave one seat up and pack stuff on the floor in front of the seat to extend the dogs seating area and use a harness with the seatbelt? Like a hard suitcase with a pillow or sleeping bag on top of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC