Modified VW Jetta (pics)

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Just wanted to share what's in my back yard right now. This is my FIL's VW Jetta. He's modified it a bit. The back seats were removed completely and he's made something like a den back there - sleeping pad, sleeping bag, room for storing camp stove, duffle bag, etc. All the other changes you can see in the pics...

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1100.jpg

To make this semi-relevant and not just amusing, that bubble-dome on the top is directly between the frame on the roof, and therefore doesn't compromise any crumple-zones. ;)

ADS

Defrost

I have no idea if the window treatments are removeable, but he doesn't remove them for driving, if that's what you're asking. He has those fish-eye trailer mirrors on top of his side mirrors.

And I didn't even get a picture of his home-made flag...

southpawboston

What? You don't think the two rear "peepholes" are adequate? :cool:

if you're a sniper, sure. ;)

defrost, despite your FIL's attempt at maintaining visibility via wide angle mirrors, it's probably not legal. i would check idaho tint laws for passenger vehicles. chances are, covering the windows with anything that blocks more than a certain % of light is illegal, as it is in most states. i have a link somewhere, i'll look for it...

EDIT: here it is. idaho allows 35% VLT (visible light transmission) on the front side windows, 20% on rear side windows, and 35% on the back window. (35% VLT is the same as 65% visible light blocking). i'm afraid those covers are in violation of that.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
OMG I think that is the ugliest thing I have ever seen!!!:whistle: Haha in-laws are funny like that huh? Why did he pick a Jetta as his "camper"?? Or did he already have it and just decide to make it one?
Thanks for sharing I got a laugh out of the "sniper holes" too! :D

southpawboston

i think he got the idea from VW themselves. don't you remember the ads for the jetta wagon? they had a shot of it parked in the woods at night, with two people saying their sweet g'nites. fast forward to morning, when they wake up and comment on how refreshed they are. lol...

Duckieheart

While I agree it sounds like FIL is pretty cool, the things covering the windows are scary. The bubble is awesome though, and I want one in my van! LOL

Defrost

"Sniper" :ROTFLMAO: You didn't say you'd met my FIL!

I hadn't even thought about it being illegal for him to drive it like that. I'm sure he doesn't care; he's had it this way for years. He would like nothing more than to debate politics and rights with a police officer, though, so maybe it's a perk for him.

Now that I think on it, dh's friend got a speeding ticket in it while they were driving it up here through Colorado... I'm surprised the "tinting" wasn't mentioned!

FIL bought it brand-new (I believe it's an '01 or '02) specifically so he could modify it like this. He wanted a diesel, and something small, since it's just him using it. He's quite proud of it!

I'll have to post pics of the "camper" he's bringing us when he gets here. From what I've heard, it's about 3 different vehicles...

Mach Knockers

It doesn't look any more dangerous to drive than a work van with no rear/rear-side windows. :scratcheshead:

It would have been way cooler in a dark color, imo, but I think the concept is absolutely badass...from another diesel Jetta driver. (Mine's 'normal' looking, but is chipped to run higher HP, higher torque AND gets better gas mileage, peaking at 58 and averaging 51 mpg.)

Mach Knockers

Agreed 100% on the safety benchmark, southpaw, but a single older driver is not too big of a concern, if he's somewhat cautious driving. I thought she mentioned he had different mirrors, too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC