Broken seatbelt

Lenae

I'm posting this for a friend. She has a older (but has top tethers) Daewoo car and the passenger side seatbelt in the back is broken. It no longer retracts back into the car, ie the belt is pulled all the way out and won't go back in. She doesn't have the money to fix it right now. Can she use a locking clip and the top tether to install a car seat until she can afford to fix the belt?

ADS

Brianna

No. Locking clips are only to hold the seat belt in place pre-crash, when the emergency locking would kick in. They can deform or fly off the seat belt during a crash. I'm not even sure if you could use a BSC without the emergency locking function. Can your friend use another seating position?

BookMama

Senior Community Member
You can use a belt-shortening clip (BSC) to take ALL the slack out of the seatbelt, but it can be tricky. (I've done it but only with another tech helping me.) Is there a tech in your area who can help you?

Just to clarify, a locking clip is not the same as a BSC. The BSC is load-bearing, while a locking clip will break or at least deform in a crash.

Lenae

You can use a belt-shortening clip (BSC) to take ALL the slack out of the seatbelt, but it can be tricky. (I've done it but only with another tech helping me.) Is there a tech in your area who can help you?

Just to clarify, a locking clip is not the same as a BSC. The BSC is load-bearing, while a locking clip will break or at least deform in a crash.

She lives in central Oregon, and I don't know of any techs out there. The nearest big town to her is The Dalles.

She needs to use all the seats in the back, so just picking a different spot isn't an option.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC