So sick of misleading info EVERYWHERE!

Holly

I am so sick of seeing misuse everywhere! It's not so bad when it's a parent that truely doesnt know, but when it's in a commercial, or in a magazine ad or something that people see, why cant they just get it right?
And all these aftermarket products, I wish they could be outlawed or something! SO MANY people have them, things like the bundle me, or the snuzzler, or different seat covers!

There is nothing that drives me more crazy than looking at an aftermarket product online and seeing so many raving reviews from people that use them! If only they Really knew how dangerous they are! I wish all this good car seat info that we have here could somehow make it onto Oprah or something. Someone who has such a massive audience as her, and a lot of people will believe anything if they see it on Oprah. She is always so good to have shows that are eyeopeners to a lot of people about various subjects. I bet it would help a lot to have this info on her show (ERF, HWH, booster seat until 8, no aftermarket stuff, no washing straps, expiration dates, etc).

I wish car seat companies would make their own products like full infant body supports, or better head supports for newborns, a wider selection of covers, etc and crash test them with their seats, they could make a lot more money than they already do just by offering "manufacture approved car seat accessories".

I just wish that somehow dangerous products will disapear, and all this good car seat info that we have would be common knowledge, and all techs would know it too (so no more bad techs giving out wrong advice to parents who trust them), and also that dr's would know it, obgyn's, nurses, pedi's, midwives, etc, so EVERY new parent gets this info!
I wish it could be against the law for a seat company to list things on their box like "belt positioning booster at 30 lbs" or "the last seat you will ever need". I hate that when some people are given the correct info, they say "Well it says this on the box, so it must be ok" or "They wouldnt sell it if it wasn't safe"
I heard so much of that from dh when looking for seats. I'm glad I knew as much as I did or my dd would be in a summit booster (in the 5pt still, but FF) instead of a radian rf.

Is there ANYTHING at all that we can do to help get the word out?
Is there anyone we can contact to try to get this stuff out there, like perhaps really on Oprah, or Dr. Phil, or Dateline NBC, 2020, Inside edition, etc? Do you think if we all e-mailed Oprah with this as a show suggestion they would actually consider it?
I'm not even a tech, but this car seat stuff really upsets me when I see misuse or uninformed people. Something has to be done to make this common knowledge!

Ok, I'm done :D

ADS

tjham

I feel your pain! I really avoid looking in cars anymore because I know I can't do anything. I have said things occasionally to people I know, with little or no change, so now I just don't look...:rolleyes: .

StarrNanny

Oprah likes stories that get people's attention and pull at the heartstrings, I think in order for her to do a car seat related story part of it would have to involve the KDMF, beciase that's a story that really touches parents.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's why we come here, to our safe haven of best practice. Because the real world is so sadly out of touch with how to get things right.

Improper media/ads can be reported with a form from www.carseat.org (and the people who work there are working non-stop to get things improved, hooray for them!) and everyone else? Well...just lead by example, help people who want to be helped... If we put it in perspective, things are a LOT better than they used to be, it's just that it goes in slow baby steps that seem to take forever :p.

I know I've written to Oprah and been ignored...but the more of us that do that, the more hope we have for getting the message out, so go for it!

Kalinky

Senior Community Member
Maybe you should start a new thread encouraging everyone here to e-mail Oprah, with links on how to do so (or I can if you prefer). Did you see the clip that was on GMA last week? It was good - a start in the right direction on educating caregivers who aren't addicted to CPS and THIS FORUM:D!!! The majority of people really do want the best for their kids and are usually always willing to get rid of the aftermarket products and unsafe/expired seats when they find out about their risks at seat check events. It's just that so many people think they're fine and don't go to checks, but maybe if they hear it on Oprah.........

I think the main thing for everyone to include in their correspondence to Oprah.com is to mention that motor vehicle accidents are the #1 cause of child injuries and deaths. THAT'S HUGE IMO. Educating parents on CPS saves lives!!!!

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Oprah likes stories that get people's attention and pull at the heartstrings, I think in order for her to do a car seat related story part of it would have to involve the KDMF, beciase that's a story that really touches parents.

Ehh...I already email them about CPS and the Miller Family months ago. Still waiting to hear back...yeah right :thumbsdown:

southpawboston

I just wish that somehow dangerous products will disapear, and all this good car seat info that we have would be common knowledge, and all techs would know it too (so no more bad techs giving out wrong advice to parents who trust them), and also that dr's would know it, obgyn's, nurses, pedi's, midwives, etc, so EVERY new parent gets this info!
I wish it could be against the law for a seat company to list things on their box like "belt positioning booster at 30 lbs" or "the last seat you will ever need". I hate that when some people are given the correct info, they say "Well it says this on the box, so it must be ok" or "They wouldnt sell it if it wasn't safe"

then there'd be no reason for this site and it would cease to exist :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC