Question Um...uh...Where was the LATCH in this 2004 Sienna?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
A mom came in today looking for a locking clip (I was stuck at the service desk, I know when people hold their fingers up 'this far' apart and I hear 'seat belt', that is exactly what they want to buy, lol, so I butted in from 20 feet away), so I go into my 'why do you think you need that?' question tree (we don't sell them, I have a supply, almost no one ever needs one, when they do, I explain how to use it as I hand it over ;)). Dad had clipped the Key Fit base LATCH connectors to some strap in the bight of the Sienna seat, looked like the release/fold forward strap, wrapped around the top tether anchor...? Really weird. Fortunately he had also done the seatbelt and locked it, but the base was moving at the front, which is what bothered mom so much. So we pulled the seat forward, reclined it, dug our fingers in there, peered in with good light. No LATCH bars. Seriously. Little tabs sewn in the seats indicating they should be there, but nope, nothing. It was a used van, is it possible they were removed like, if there was a crash?

I told him it couldn't hurt to contact Toyota, I've literally never seen this before (almost didn't find an anchor last week in a 2002 BMW, so I was sensitive to the need to dig, too).

I showed him how to use the lockoff and he was amazed it was so easy to install. :D

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd be wondering about the history. Was out ever modified as a handicap accessible vehicle? That's the only reason I know they can take out lower anchors...

mom of six

My brain keeps trying to remember...wasn't there some Toyota vehicle where the LATCH anchors were covered by the upholstery and had to be cut to reveal the anchors?

lynsgirl

I have an 04 Sienna and they are pretty obvious once you lift that flap in the seat bite. Weird

:yeahthat: In my 05, you just lift the velcroed flap of upholstery in the middle row, and you can't miss them. In the 3rd row, they're also pretty obvious, so definitely something weird there.

tiggercat

Are they positive on the year of the vehicle? Replaced seats/benches with an older model (if bought used)?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC