Look at this PA State Police "Car Seat Safety" site--NOT!! It's bad!

heyruthie

This page is labeled "Car Seat Safety Tips" and it seems awful to me! It's on the PA State Police site!!

http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?A=310&Q=170740

For starters, look at the picture on top! The girl's CRS is installed on a seat that has some sort of sheet draped over it--beneath the carseat! Plus, the her carseat looks ancient!

safety_seat-3.jpg

Here are my favorite parts, in bold--bad grammar and all:

Do not use a seat that has been involved in a crash. The seat should be replaced and the old one destroyed. Good ways to destroy a seat is with a sledgehammer or take it apart and cut the harness straps before throwing it in the trash.

Try not to buy a used car seat. You cannot always tell if a seat has been recalled or has been in a crash. To be safe, a new seat is the way to go. If you do buy a used car seat, look it over very carefully for any cracks or missing parts.

To wash the harness: Unthread straps from the seat, wash and let air-dry. Putting the harness straps in the dryer could cause them to melt. Be sure not to loose any pieces and rethread the harness properly.

WTHeck!!!! That last point is totally wrong! What are they thinking??

I went to that site, hoping to find the real PA state CRS laws, but this is all I've found so far.....

ADS

Wineaux

"loose any parts"? This is a State run website and these twits can't spell the word LOSE? :eek:

This is what I mean by losing all credibility when you can't even manage to write at a 6th grade level. Pathetic...
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I sent them a comment about their website... :evil grin:

Whomever wrote the copy for your web page on car seats, is NOT smarter than a 5th grader! Please find an English teacher to correct the horrendous spelling and grammatical errors.

Just a little FYI, the words lose and loose are NOT interchangeable. EVER!

tjham

Women who are pregnant should always buckle up to protect her and her unborn child.

And the poor kid in the picture looks terrified! :rolleyes:

It looks like it's been there since 2003-2004. How can no one have noticed? :confused:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The seat is a Century 1500 STE, which was made until 2004! It's obviously being checked but hasn't had errors corrected yet.

Mom to a few

Yes, that picture is terrible...and the grammer ain't too good neither :D, but the basic advice really isn't so bad. I've seen much worse. There are a lot of people in the world who wouldn't even pick up on the spelling/grammatical errors.

I thought that they did a good job of emphasizing how important it is to completely destroy a seat that was used in a crash.

The information about how to clean a harness is the same thing that my instructor said in my tech class (My CPST manual doesn't actually say to wash the harness. It says, "Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning. If necessary, harnesses must be air dried. Machine drying is too hot for the harness straps and will decrease their effectiveness.")

As for the "used seat", it's also not terribly different than what's in the manual (Complete history available, All labels and instructions present, Meets Federal standards, No recalls or recalls have been fixed, All parts present and in working order, Free of cracks/loose rivets/etc, No more than 6 yrs old-may vary by manufacturer, Responsibility of caregiver to research).

So while it's certainly not a perfect list for parents, it's probably not the worst advice that they could be given.

Wineaux

I just received a reply to my email. I'm hoping their website will become a lot more coherent after they clean up the text. As I've said before... People take what you are saying a lot more seriously when you take the time to use correct spelling and proper grammar. ;)

Thank you for your concern pertaining to our public web site and child safety in general. Using correct grammar and spelling is important to us. I will have the errors corrected as soon as possible.

amy919

As a PA resident, I couldn't help but send an e-mail. I doubt I'll get a response though. I also cited this board for additional information. We'll see.

I also suggested they visit my girls' school if they want to seriously boost their fund to purchase loaner seats;)

heyruthie

I just received a reply to my email. I'm hoping their website will become a lot more coherent after they clean up the text. As I've said before... People take what you are saying a lot more seriously when you take the time to use correct spelling and proper grammar. ;)

Well, it's exciting that you got a response! Even grammar correction would be a good start for that page!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yahoo! group -- it's a resource that all techs are supposedly informed of during the course along with the CPS board link, etc....

P.S. the sheet isn't quite so bad: it's so thin, it shouldn't cause a problem (I use a sheet to catch snack crumbs) :twocents:

amy919

I got a response already!

Amy,

Thank you for your interest in child passenger safety and our web page. You have made some good points in your e-mail. I am currently making some changes to up- date the information on our web page as some things have changed. I will use some of your comments in making the changes. Thanks again and drive safe!

TFC Jonathan A. Kline #7364
Child Passenger Safety Technician(CPST)-Coordinator
PA State Police-Bureau of Patrol
Safety Programs Division

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC