Question What would you buy?

mlohry

So we are probably a year out on this, but it's been the hot topic here with our 05 Ody getting on in age and miles (200,000). The van has been everything I hoped for and it's for sure gotten lots of love! We have 3 kids, they are 11, 9 and 5. The 11 year old JUST 5 stepped out of a booster in the van. The 9 year old will probably 5 step out faster as he's on average taller than big bro. The 5 year old is in a FR90 (using seat belt install) and a peanut, and 37lbs at the moment. I'm not one to harness. 4 ever, so when she hits 40lbs I'll probably high back booster her since she's been asking since aged 2 :)

These are my thoughts. We won't have anymore car seats in 2 years, only 1 booster. So I really don't care about LATCH positions, all I would require is probably 1, if I buy a latch able booster. Obviously I'll get more than 1. So we are basically looking at a vehicle that would be the best for at least 4 people not using any boosters. We need to go with a 3 row vehicle because my mom is moving to where we are at and she will frequently be with us and of course she's not getting any younger. So ease of in and out is a plus. We really considered a larger SUV-Suburban, Expedition, but with the gas mileage and a few other things we don't like, I think we will probably end up with a van again. Is there one that's better for our needs? I am totally not opposed to another Ody :) If we could find a van with a little higher towing capacity that would be a plus. TIA for the help!

ADS

T4K

You are in a position to sorta get what you want. If I didn't need that many requirements like car seat compatibility, 3 across potential, or TA locations, I'd make a list of vehicles that met certain criteria (size, fuel economy, price, etc) then go test drive them and rate them further.

SavsMom

Are you wanting another van?

I would look around - check out the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse. Take a look at a Honda Pilot. Not saying you need an suv, but if you want to change it up and get something a little different the mid size SUVs offer a lot and get similar fuel economy as the vans.

An SUV may benefit you down the road as you expand your farm (for the record I think you should get some llamas). ;)

mlohry

Are you wanting another van? I would look around - check out the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse. Take a look at a Honda Pilot. Not saying you need an suv, but if you want to change it up and get something a little different the mid size SUVs offer a lot and get similar fuel economy as the vans. An SUV may benefit you down the road as you expand your farm (for the record I think you should get some llamas). ;)

I checked out the 2 you recommended, the pilot has1/2 the towing capacity as a van... Odd, the Acadia has a bit more than a van. The GM's need to get with the times and put a 3rd row middle head rest in, that irks me! I would use that seat, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

I would like to change it up, but there just isn't anything that has all I want, vans are the closest. We need the 3 rows so the options are limited.

Don't worry about llamas coming to the farm, I'm sure they will. We got our 1st chicks this week, so we are starting :)

My oldest does llamas for 4H and the owner of the llama actually transport the llama in their van sometimes :)

Matt wants to buy an old truck for pulling, so who knows if that happens. I guess every farm needs an old truck!

CarSafetyGuy

Keep in mind that most of the large SUVs still don't have anywhere near as much space as the minivans, especially when the third row is up. Personally, I'd go with a current gen Odyssey if you have a wide open budget.

SavsMom

Keep in mind that most of the large SUVs still don't have anywhere near as much space as the minivans, especially when the third row is up. Personally, I'd go with a current gen Odyssey if you have a wide open budget.

This is true.

If your happy with the Oddy - definitely get another. I was just offering up suggestions if you wanted to make a change.

SavsMom

I checked out the 2 you recommended, the pilot has1/2 the towing capacity as a van... Odd, the Acadia has a bit more than a van. The GM's need to get with the times and put a 3rd row middle head rest in, that irks me! I would use that seat, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me.

I would like to change it up, but there just isn't anything that has all I want, vans are the closest. We need the 3 rows so the options are limited.

Don't worry about llamas coming to the farm, I'm sure they will. We got our 1st chicks this week, so we are starting :)

My oldest does llamas for 4H and the owner of the llama actually transport the llama in their van sometimes :)

Matt wants to buy an old truck for pulling, so who knows if that happens. I guess every farm needs an old truck!

The Odyssey tows 3500
The Pilot tows 4500 (when you get the awd)

mlohry

The Odyssey tows 3500 The Pilot tows 4500 (when you get the awd)

That's good to know. I must have looked at the regular one.

I really would like to change it up, but I don't think anything comes with what vans offer. I will for sure look at other vans this time around. That Ody has been awfully kind to us though even at 200,000 miles :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC