Fixed my FR85 booster issue...finally!!!

shashoo

Dd has been using the FR 85 in booster mode for a few months now and I was only satisfied with the way the belt retracted when used in the center position of my car. Not that big if a deal except I am due in August and couldn't figure out a side by side install with the frontier beast. So I had called britax and they advised not using the belt guides. When doing this the belt fit was not as good so I put it back in the middle. Today I realized it is the cover that the belt snags on not the back of the seat so I took off the headrest cover and tacked up the part above the belt guides a little and then added an elastic piece to hold the back of the cover more on the back of the seat (same as the one that is on there but over towards the belt guides 1-2 inches).

It works wonderfully in my car now outboard and I couldn't be more thrilled cause dd loves how comfortable that seat is, I love that I will have two cow seats in my car soon and dh loves that I didn't buy a q-fix or a rodifix!!!! Lol.

ADS

Baylor

From what I understand she is still using the belt guide but just moved the cover away so that it does not impede the belt retraction?

That is what I got anyway.

shashoo

From what I understand she is still using the belt guide but just moved the cover away so that it does not impede the belt retraction? That is what I got anyway.

Yup! Sorry if it was confusing that is what I get for being online late. :). I can't wait to try it this morning to make sure it works with a body in the seat!

shashoo

Ugh!!! Fail! The belt guide is completely clear of fabric and the seatbelt still doesn't retract well at all with dd in the seat. So frustrating. I told dh I will try switching seats with him first before buying a new seat. He has an Oobr in his car and even though it is also an 05 Subaru the seatbelt comes out like 2-3 inches higher than mine as his is a sedan not an Outback.

He told me he was going to put both Cow seats in his car when the time came if it works just to mess with me! I told him we would be switching cars!! Lol :)

shashoo

So I tried the FR in dh's car and it is a no go either. We assessed pros and cons of new seats and think since dd is such a petite thing that we might be able to get away with a performance sport in booster mode for 1-2 years until she is ready to be in a LBB full time. Really the maxi cosi sounds the best but $250 is too much to spend on a seat that we will only use for 2 years max. Her torso height is almost 17 inches now and she is 47 inches overall, turns 7 in 3 months. I am going to order it through amazon so there is free returns just in case it doesn't work at all either.

shashoo

Have you tried a turbo booster?

We looked at it in the store. Dh wasn't a fan of it and I don't think she would be able to sleep in it since she can't sleep in the Nautilus (harness or booster). I even pointed out the affix and turbo with ss to him and he wants to try the recaro. If Dd wasn't such a wet noodle when she sleeps we could prolly so something else plus we are taking a 16 hour one way trip this fall and want her to be comfortable.

Baylor

Does she still fit in the harness? Because if she sleeps a lot in the car I would be more apt to keep her harnessed. I actually have a FR85 in harness mode installed in my back row and then the Diono Monterey and the Sante fe in my car all the time. The 6 yr old uses all of them at some point. But when we are going out late or on long drives I still put him in the Fr85 because he sleeps better, and I like to be able to put my older son in the Monterey to sleep. It has nice deep wings and sleeping in it is great for him.

How old is she??

shashoo

Does she still fit in the harness? Because if she sleeps a lot in the car I would be more apt to keep her harnessed. I actually have a FR85 in harness mode installed in my back row and then the Diono Monterey and the Sante fe in my car all the time. The 6 yr old uses all of them at some point. But when we are going out late or on long drives I still put him in the Fr85 because he sleeps better, and I like to be able to put my older son in the Monterey to sleep. It has nice deep wings and sleeping in it is great for him. How old is she??

She has at least one maybe two clicks left in the harness and will be 7 in August. She does well in a booster and asked to be in one full time. I think this is reasonable. My car is the only one of four she regularly rides in that doesn't have a permanent booster set up in it (2 Nauti and an Oobr) I did consider harnessing for the trip however she fallls asleep in the car at least once every two weeks and although I don't mind changing out seats I don't really want to have to do that every time we are going to drive for longer than 30 min. We like the Oobr but her legs get uncomfortable on trips over an hour and a half.

If I had a big enough car I would totally keep extra seats installed like that so she could choose daily without me reinstalling. However she admits she picks seats on the cover not comfort and then complains later :)

daniele_ut

Ugh!!! Fail! The belt guide is completely clear of fabric and the seatbelt still doesn't retract well at all with dd in the seat. So frustrating. I told dh I will try switching seats with him first before buying a new seat. He has an Oobr in his car and even though it is also an 05 Subaru the seatbelt comes out like 2-3 inches higher than mine as his is a sedan not an Outback. He told me he was going to put both Cow seats in his car when the time came if it works just to mess with me! I told him we would be switching cars!! Lol :)

So, is the car you are having issue with a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon? I ask because DH drives a 2005 Outback XT wagon. I will be searching for HBBs for DD for his car soon and she will most likely need to be outboard because I need 3 across. DH and I are likely going to have to trade cars next year because he will need all the seats in the van to drive carpool in the mornings.

Baylor

She has at least one maybe two clicks left in the harness and will be 7 in August. She does well in a booster and asked to be in one full time. I think this is reasonable. My car is the only one of four she regularly rides in that doesn't have a permanent booster set up in it (2 Nauti and an Oobr) I did consider harnessing for the trip however she fallls asleep in the car at least once every two weeks and although I don't mind changing out seats I don't really want to have to do that every time we are going to drive for longer than 30 min. We like the Oobr but her legs get uncomfortable on trips over an hour and a half.

If I had a big enough car I would totally keep extra seats installed like that so she could choose daily without me reinstalling. However she admits she picks seats on the cover not comfort and then complains later :)

It is certainly reasonable if you can find one that works well and she is comfortable enough in.

Boosters are tricky. My kids love the Monterey and the Sante fe. Because they are bigger and deeper they are both comfortable. In fact when I tried to switch out my older ds one for a lbb( pronto bottom) He baulked. He hated it. Flat short and hard.

I also loved the Probooster have you tried that? IT is comfy booster too. Longer in the pan. Or it was before they improved it, I have not seen the new one yet.

shashoo

Update....we got the Performance Sport and are using it in booster mode the past few days. She is about a half inch to an inch from moving to the top position for booster mode (almost 3 inches torso growth total). The belt fit is great, the seatbelt doesn't stick at all in the guide <3. She has great leg and sleeping support. I'm hoping this would work for us for 1.5 to 2 more years. What do you guys think?
In the future I could also see it being a good extended harness option for three across.

shashoo

So, is the car you are having issue with a 2005 Subaru Outback wagon? I ask because DH drives a 2005 Outback XT wagon. I will be searching for HBBs for DD for his car soon and she will most likely need to be outboard because I need 3 across. DH and I are likely going to have to trade cars next year because he will need all the seats in the van to drive carpool in the mornings.

Yes, we are having trouble with the 2005 Wagon and the 2095 Legacy. I have done some 3 across set ups before but never with a booster in the mix. If you can find a narrow booster with very open belt guides it should work. I think a turbo booster would work well with the seatbelts just not my child :). The harmony literider works well in the car for carpool friends because it is more narrow at the base and can go closer to the door with the way the seats are shaped for an easier three across (not sure a backless would work for you if it is only for carpooling)? The Oobr is supposed to only be 16 inches but is very flat so it has to be more centered on the vehicle seat not making it a god three across option even though it is narrow in comparison to other boosters.
How old are the children that you will need to transport?

shashoo

What about the performance booster?? I would think the guides go higher than the performance sport.

I am afraid it is too wide....I wish we could try it somewhere. I have a hard time buckling the Oobr in my car and it is only 16 inches wide. I think I am just booster challenged ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC