Is the Odyssey really the safest minivan

LauraD

The Honda Odyssey is the only minivan on the 2014 IIHS Top Safety Pick list. As such, I am inclined to choose it over its competitors (Sienna, Caravan/Town& Country) based on safety alone, as that is the most important feature to me.

That said, the Odyssey is the most expensive choice, so I just want to know if it really is safer than the Sienna or the Caravan. What do other people think? Can anyone point me to some links, stats etc?

I don't mind spending the extra $ if it really is the safest, but I also don't want to just throw my money out, if maybe it isn't really any safer than the others.

Thoughts?

ADS

tl01

The other ones have not been updated since the IIHS small overlap testing began. I am inclined to believe that the other minivans won't fare as well in that test as the odyssey... I don't have any direct proof though. Generally though, the small overlap test is very rigorous and unless the vehicle was built for that test then it doesn't usually do very well.

I know the 2011-2013 ody didn't do well in honda's own testing for the small overlap but IIHS didn't test it.

I have a 2013 and am itching to trade in mine for a 2014.

seb3244

The other ones have not been updated since the IIHS small overlap testing began. I am inclined to believe that the other minivans won't fare as well in that test as the odyssey... I don't have any direct proof though. Generally though, the small overlap test is very rigorous and unless the vehicle was built for that test then it doesn't usually do very well. I know the 2011-2013 ody didn't do well in honda's own testing for the small overlap but IIHS didn't test it. I have a 2013 and am itching to trade in mine for a 2014.

What do you mean 'the small overlap'?

lgenne

Aside from the small overlap test, how many kids in what kinds of car seats are you likely to cart around? How many adults?

The Odyssey is far more car seat friendly than the other two as well. We have a 2013, and the higher price was more than worth it for me, even without the great small overlap rating.

CarSafetyGuy

The Honda Odyssey is the only minivan on the 2014 IIHS Top Safety Pick list. As such, I am inclined to choose it over its competitors (Sienna, Caravan/Town& Country) based on safety alone, as that is the most important feature to me.

That said, the Odyssey is the most expensive choice, so I just want to know if it really is safer than the Sienna or the Caravan. What do other people think? Can anyone point me to some links, stats etc?

I don't mind spending the extra $ if it really is the safest, but I also don't want to just throw my money out, if maybe it isn't really any safer than the others.

Thoughts?

In my books, there's no safer minivan you can buy today. Why?

It's the only tested minivan so far with an official small overlap score, which puts it ahead of its primary competitor, the Sienna.

Besides that, it's the same as its competitors in terms of a 4000+ lb curb weight, ESC, head airbags for all three rows, and good frontal, side, and roof scores.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC