Question Narrow harness to booster in center of Nissan Versa hatchback?

U

Unregistered

I have a 2 year old and two big kids (10 and 12). The 2 year old needs to be in the center of a Nissan Versa hatchback in a booster to harness. She is average in size.

The center is more of a hump than a seat and it is a tight squeeze for her brothers around her current seat, a Recaro which is about to expire. I have found it to be a pain to install. Also her brothers tend to unbuckle her by accident which makes me pull my hair out, but that's not the car's fault.

Our budget is under $200-ish. I have some babies r us gift cards so it would be nice to buy it there but it's not a must.

I have a Sunshine Kids/Radian in my car, a 2008 civic hybrid. If that will install better in the Versa, I could put the new seat in my car. Same spot, center on the hump. That actually might make sense since she is with me 95% of the time. I have that RF right now.

The two I have figured out are contenders- Nautilus, loved these for my boys. But the cup holders make it wide if I remember correctly. The other is the Harmony Defender, which looks interesting. Has anyone installed either in a Versa hatch? Any other seats I should look into? Tips on the Versa install in general? TIA!

tina

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Hi and welcome! :) I'm not familiar with your Versa, but I wanted to bump your thread. for some more responses. I do think it's probably worth trying the Radian in the Versa to see if it works. :) My personal recommendation for a 2 year old is a RF seat to try to get as close as possible to 4 years old RF, so I personally wouldn't recommend a harness to booster seat (known as a combination seat), so maybe if the Radian works in the Versa, getting another one might be a good idea. A seat like the Graco My Ride that has a narrow base then flares out might also work in a narrow spot. A RF seat for your 2 year old would also give your bigger kids more shoulder room for a little longer. :)

U

Unregistered

Yeah, I originally planned to get a MyRide, but dh turned her around in his Versa. He takes the seat in and out a lot and it was horrible to install RF. I don't even like how it installs forwards. Since she is in there very rarely I decided not to make an issue of it. I decided that I'd rather not get another convertible seat and then have to buy another seat later. I know it's not ideal, but for his car that's how I came to that conclusion.

I am not getting another radian because of the price. Dh is not convinced that there is that much of a difference between, say, a Cosco and a Radian.

henrietta

Yeah, I originally planned to get a MyRide, but dh turned her around in his Versa. He takes the seat in and out a lot and it was horrible to install RF. I don't even like how it installs forwards. Since she is in there very rarely I decided not to make an issue of it. I decided that I'd rather not get another convertible seat and then have to buy another seat later. I know it's not ideal, but for his car that's how I came to that conclusion.

I am not getting another radian because of the price. Dh is not convinced that there is that much of a difference between, say, a Cosco and a Radian.

Because she is only 2 and you already have a Radian, I'd suggest putting it in the car she rides most in *rear facing*. As pp'ers stated, it is safer, plus it really will give your big kids a lot more shoulder room. If you don't already have it, the angle adjuster that is made for the Radian, will sit it more upright, so it won't take up as much room front to back. :)

For the secondary car, I'd either get the Harmony Defender or an Evenflo Secure Kid 300 or 400 (all combo seats=forward facing harness to booster). The Evenflo is probably available at Babies R Us. It's almost as narrow at the Defender. If your boys are still in boosters, one seat may work better than the other next to them. I have a 3 across w/an Evenflo Secure Kid 300, Combi Cocorro (rear facing & similar width to the Radian), and a Cosco Top Side backless. The Secure Kid works out pretty well for us as a harnessed seat and it fits in the 3 across I have (Volvo XC70 wagon). A cheaper option, depending on how heavy she is, an Evenflo Maestro might be enough to keep her harnessed to age 5--it goes to 50 lbs harnessed. It is available at BRU & Toys R Us for less than the Secure Kid. It doesn't work well as a booster, only b/c it doesn't last more than a minute since the headrest doesn't move up, but for the price, who cares. ;)

OR altogether different option--leave hubs car alone w/the Radian facing forward, since you don't like installing it rearfacing anyways. ;) Buy an Evenflo Sure Ride and keep her rearfacing awhile longer yet in your car. It lasts even longer as a harnessed seat than the Radian. When she's done w/it, buy a dedicated booster seat, which will be far easier to get buckled than one of the combo seats in a 3 across.

And I love the Nautilus, too, but it's very likely much too wide for your situation.

hths and welcome to c-seat.org!!!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC