RSTV opinions and experiences

MyTwoSons

I'm considering a RSTV for an upcoming trip for DS1 (6yrs, 41-42lbs), and would love input on the plan, as well as experiences with use of one since I really don't know much at all about them.

Regularly, DS1 rides in either a FR85 or Performance Booster depending on the day/trip. We have an upcoming trip that will begin as a long road trip, then a flight, followed by more driving. Then will be reversed for return home. I'm not comfortable with him in the booster for the first part of the trip because I know he will be sleeping some, so we will head out with the FR85.

I don't, however, want to take a seat for him on the plane. He will need something after the flight though for a fair amount of driving. I know carrying on a no back booster on the plane would be easy, but I just don't think he is ready for that "freedom" driving on the other end, and I know he wouldn't stay in position if he fell asleep. Thus I was thinking of taking an RSTV in the carry-on and using that in the rental vehicle for that portion of the trip.

Would that work well? Is there something obvious I am missing? Do they work well? If in a vehicle with center shoulder/lap belt, would it work next to a ff Sureride?

Thank you!

ADS

kookaburra

We recently used the RSTV for a trip with our 5-year-old DD, who usually rides in a FR85. She's only slightly smaller than your son. And it did work well, especially when used with the top tether. If you could fit a person in a seatbelt next to the Sureride, you could fit a kid in an RSTV. They don't take up any extra room. DD is not a car sleeper, but the tether does keep the kid in place like a harnessed seat. We initially used it without the top tether because I couldn't figure out where the tether points were in the rental car. It was DD's first time not in a harnessed seat, and she had a hard time staying in position, although she really did try. If I sat next to her, she did better, but she did best once I figured out how to tether it.

We'd travel with it again because it ids easier than lugging a seat. But I find it a bit fiddly to get the seat belt through the guides. We left it tethered in the car and then just did up the seatbelt/crotch strap each time.

MyTwoSons

Thank you kookaburra for sharing your experience!

After looking at them online, I would like to get the RSTV 2 since it has the top tether to help him stay in position better (especially if he falls asleep). We will be renting a car after the flight, but I really have no experience installing any child restraints in midsize cars (only minivans and SUV type). Is it common for midsize sedans to have a top tether anchor in the center seating position? I would much prefer him in the center if he's going to use the RSTV.

TIA!

gigi

My 6 year old travels with a boostpak and carries it himself. We both really dislike the RSTV for rides more than 5 minutes. I would get any backless booster for travel.

kookaburra

Thank you kookaburra for sharing your experience!

After looking at them online, I would like to get the RSTV 2 since it has the top tether to help him stay in position better (especially if he falls asleep). We will be renting a car after the flight, but I really have no experience installing any child restraints in midsize cars (only minivans and SUV type). Is it common for midsize sedans to have a top tether anchor in the center seating position? I would much prefer him in the center if he's going to use the RSTV.

TIA!

I don't know if it's common, but our 2007 Corolla has top tethers for all three positions in the back seat.

Dillipop

Most vehicles, minus some convertibles, are required to have 3 tether anchors. If you are renting a sedan, it will have 3 across the back seat.

We took a rstv for a trip when my son was about 5. We flew, then drove almost 2 hours to dh's family's home. For that, it was fine. Then we were going to drive 8 hours to the vacation spot and I ended up purchasing a high back turbo booster for the trip. While he might have done ok in the rstv, the turbo was definitely more comfy for him.

We left the booster there for our next trip 2 years down the road and then brought it back with us the following trip. We carried on the bottom portion and I packed the back in our suitcase, surrounded by clothing. Would something like this work better for you? How long is the trip after the plane ride?

MyTwoSons

We took a rstv for a trip when my son was about 5. We flew, then drove almost 2 hours to dh's family's home. For that, it was fine. Then we were going to drive 8 hours to the vacation spot and I ended up purchasing a high back turbo booster for the trip. While he might have done ok in the rstv, the turbo was definitely more comfy for him.

We carried on the bottom portion and I packed the back in our suitcase, surrounded by clothing. Would something like this work better for you? How long is the trip after the plane ride?

Thank you for the info on top tethers too!

As for packing the highback portion in a suitcase for the after flight portion of the trip; I had not thought about that! I would want to get a turbo with safety surround if I did that. That portion of the trip will be much less driving, probably no more than 2 hrs at a time (a couple will be late at night though), then some short around town trips.

The RSTV would cost more than the turboSS, but I'm wondering if it would provide the possibility for more function-ability in the long term. Please correct me if I am wrong (because I really have no experience with this), but I am under the assumption that the RSTV with top tether provides more structure to to keep the child in position and distributes crash forces more than just a booster. Is that correct? :confused: If so, would that be a better alternative to have on hand for later use as an emergency back up seat for my 3.5yr DS2 (32lbs, but no where near the impulse control to sit in a booster even for short rides)? If the RSTV would in fact be better in that scenario, I think it would be worth it to purchase for DS1 for this upcoming trip.

Pixels

Make sure you get the RSTV 2, not the 3. The 3 does not meet safety standards.

The RSTV is a booster. It pulls the seat belt down to the child instead of lifting the child up to the belt, but it is the belt that is restraining the child. The belt needs to be properly positioned to do its job.

Dillipop

The back of a regular turbo was a tight fit in our suitcase- you might have issues with the safe surround.

For 2 hour rides or less, I'd probably just get the rstv2 for the easiness of packing it in your carryon.

gigi

I don't think the RSTV is anywhere near as safe as an actual booster. I have no data, but as a mom who has used both, I prefer the actual booster. The kid is more comfortable in a booster because the seat is kid sized and stays in position easier. Also, it is a PITA to secure the RSTV and I wouldn't trust back up or emergency caregivers to do it properly. I much much much prefer a Boostapak.

MyTwoSons

Thank you each for your input...I appreciate it! After considering your responses and those in a different posters thread about what to take on a trip to Greece, I have decided to order the RSTV 2. We've got plenty of time to try it out before the trip, so we will start with that. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC