Clavicle fx

jubgulia

Fresh clavicle fracture on 4 year old (30 lbs, 36") without adequate pain meds, what do you do? Loose straps going over arm or only one strap over shoulder or booster?

Last edited:
ADS

jacqui276

Booster on the side that that doesn't bother his injured clavicle. Assuming he can ride decently.

I second that. Ideally with someone in the back seat next to him so that he sits properly (and for comfort). Give him Advil for comfort too.

tiggercat

Re: Urgent: Clavicle fx

Do you have a seat with a continuous harness? Pull tighter on the unbroken side, looser on the broken side.

Am I right in assuming this is the child with an already weakened skeleton from the OI? I'd be hesitant to put him in a booster given that, plus small size and being young. The skeleton has to be strong enough to take the force of a 3pt seatbelt.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Booster and someone to sit with him and keep him in line.

Longer term there may be other options.

This is a "no good answer" solution. Booster is far from ideal with OI but ejection from loose harness isn't good either.

jubgulia

OK, thanks. He won't move because it hurts so bad, so the booster might work for the trip to the doc at least. He does put himself to sleep for pain management sometimes, so I'll just have to make sure he doesn't do that until he gets better pain meds. He has a RF Foonf.

jubgulia

The oobr worked ok on the shortest setting for the quick trip to the doctor. It didn't hurt him anyway. Tomorrow we'll try the foonf, as we will have the normal school run schedules as well as doctor.

ForumRunner_20140424_203422.png

tiggercat

The oobr worked ok on the shortest setting for the quick trip to the doctor. It didn't hurt him anyway. Tomorrow we'll try the foonf, as we will have the normal school run schedules as well as doctor.

Adorable, I am glad you were able to get him to the doctor without more pain. That lap belt is pretty high though, if you do end up boostering for a bit I'd consider something with a better lap belt fit.

cookie123

What a cute kiddo! Sorry about the clavicle. It's probably just the angle of the photo but the shoulder belt looks about to fall off his shoulder, yet close to his neck, too. Does he have little shoulders? I also agree the lap belt looks high. What booster is that? I love the color.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

The maximum rotation angle that is currently allowed by FMVSS213 was actually picked because at the time, there were rfing seats that didn't have a harness at all and that angle works with those seats. Knowing that, I'd be OK with a rfing seat with the harness moved up and lots of padding added to that shoulder and not ideally tight straps.

Also, can ambulances administer pain meds? Or, since bone breaks are a daily risk for him, can the doctor give you an emergency morphine patch to stick on him when he does have a break and transport is super painful?

jubgulia

What a cute kiddo! Sorry about the clavicle. It's probably just the angle of the photo but the shoulder belt looks about to fall off his shoulder, yet close to his neck, too. Does he have little shoulders? I also agree the lap belt looks high. What booster is that? I love the color.

Yes, he has little shoulders. It's the Clek Oobr.

The maximum rotation angle that is currently allowed by FMVSS213 was actually picked because at the time, there were rfing seats that didn't have a harness at all and that angle works with those seats. Knowing that, I'd be OK with a rfing seat with the harness moved up and lots of padding added to that shoulder and not ideally tight straps.

Also, can ambulances administer pain meds? Or, since bone breaks are a daily risk for him, can the doctor give you an emergency morphine patch to stick on him when he does have a break and transport is super painful?

Thank you sooo much for this suggestion! I had put him back in the Foonf after that one trip and it was too painful for both straps to be on, but with only one, it was slipping off his shoulder. With the straps moved up to the next slot leaving 1-1.5" over his shoulder, I could buckle with both straps then just put my finger under the strap over that shoulder while I tightened so it didn't press down. I feel like they are close to regular tightness without putting pressure down on that collar bone. :dance:

We were refused many times in our attempt to get him better pain medications. Just hoping he doesn't break again before June and we get a new doctor who will prescribe proper meds to be carried with our break kit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC