No energy-absorbing foam on Titan 65

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I just brought my daughter home from her grandparents' house in her new Titan 65. My understanding about this seat was that it is the same as the Sureride, but just with a less-padded cover. For $48 (I had a coupon at Burlington Coat Factory), I felt like a flimsier cover was worth it.

But when I was pulling the cover aside to look at the shell, I saw that it didn't have any EPS/EPP foam. Not even at the head area. Is this normal for the Titan 65 or is there something amiss?

A big part of me is just generally disappointed with the seat -- it kept leaning to the side when I was installing it, it is extremely difficult to tighten the harness while RF, and it's so huge it will only fit in our Accord -- which we're planning to replace in the next year or so anyway. Plus, it only really fits RF in the center and I can't get my Aton next to it, so it can't be used RF once we have a second child.

What would you do? She's already taken one ride in it -- too late to return? I know that $48 is ridiculously cheap for a car seat, but I thought I was getting something with some foam in it and so now I feel like I didn't get such a great deal.

I know a Scenara or an APT wouldn't have foam either and would cost about the same and so at least I got a longer-lasting seat. But given that we will likely need to either fit it in a more compact car or move it to an outboard position before she outgrows it RF, I am wondering how useful it will actually be to have this seat vs a different one.

help me think through this! I am so bummed that it doesn't have foam!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If you have used the seat, and it is not defective, I feel it is unethical to return it. (I know I'm in the minority here.) The time to check out features is before you buy, not after.

Yeah. I generally feel this way too. I didn't check because everyone on here had said it was the same seat as the Sureride except for the cover.

tiggercat

Lucky Canadians...but I'm guessing the Canadian version can't be bought for $48 either...

So yours is different? Weird. I posted a pic because if you just peek under the cover, it's not obvious the foam is there because it is thin and inset almost.

Normal price is $99, I think it is $78 this week.

bubbaray

IIRC there are a few Cdn seats that have different/more foam in the head area. The GN had different foam.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Correct. It's $99.

Can you post a picture of your naked seat?

I will as soon as I get home. I went out for a power walk with the baby to de-stress.

Do you have the Sureride or just the Titan 65 in Canada? Here the Sureride is $99, so I'm curious as to whether there's just one seat in Canada, but two "levels" in the US.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So yours is different? Weird. I posted a pic because if you just peek under the cover, it's not obvious the foam is there because it is thin and inset almost.

Yeah, that's how the Sureride is. That's what I had been expecting.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, so now I am even more perplexed. Not only does Burlington's website SAY that there is energy absorbing foam: http://www.burlingtoncoatfactory.co...-Seats/Titan-65-Car-Seat-Tonal-351791533.aspx

But the Childsource Titan 65's in the US have it and the one at Burlington doesn't? The Titan 65 isn't on Evenflo's website at all, so I can't even check the specs there....

It's not completely naked, but you can see the lack of foam in this picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 83

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Man, I wish I'd thought to call Evenflo an hour ago before they closed for the evening.

tiggercat

I will as soon as I get home. I went out for a power walk with the baby to de-stress.

Do you have the Sureride or just the Titan 65 in Canada? Here the Sureride is $99, so I'm curious as to whether there's just one seat in Canada, but two "levels" in the US.

We also have the sureride, it is $140ish.

I wonder if someone was asleep at the assembly line... I'd call evenflo to check.

tiggercat

IIRC there are a few Cdn seats that have different/more foam in the head area. The GN had different foam.

True, there are quite a few seats with extra padding up here to meet the padding in the head contactile area requirements. Usually it is of the squishy variety along the back of the shell, I don't think I've ever seen extra EPS on our seats. You never know, though.

OP, be sure to update us after you speak to Evenflo!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
:crying:

I called Evenflo. They said that the seat had been changed and they'd removed the energy-absorbing foam. The representative stressed that it still performs at "2X the crash test standard" but I was still really sad. I explained to her that both the Evenflo description and the Burlington Coat Factory description still said that it had energy-absorbing foam and she said that she would make a note that the description needs to be changed.

We don't have the receipt anymore. I left it at my in-laws' house after I installed it in the car and they've already taken out their recycling.

It's just a back-up seat and it was only $48, so I shouldn't really complain. I just wish I'd known what I was getting. I definitely would have gone with the Guide 65 Sport for only $22 more if I had known that the Titan 65 didn't have EPP/EPS foam.

On the plus side, because it doesn't fit in any of our other cars, as soon as we replace our Honda, I'll get to buy another car seat. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC