Need a car seat for airplane travel

Sitamama

I will be traveling with my 14 month old alone and looking for a simple car seat I can install in the airplane and then at the destination for a week use in the car. I was looking at getting the Costco Senera since it is so affordable. Has anyone used this or do you know if it will work in the airplane? My other option would be to get the AmSafe Aviation CARES and have my mom get a car seat for when we land, but the harness is quite expensive and together that would be about $100.
We also have the Graco My Ride 65. Could I use this in the plane? It looks pretty big. Maybe it detaches from its base??
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
ADS

cantabdad

The MyRide isn't the most compact carseat in the world, but I did a quick search and found that people have posted on this forum that they've used it successfully on aircraft, both forward- and rear-facing. So if that's what you have and what you are comfortable and familiar with, that sounds like a good option. You'll be seated next to your child and can always raise the armrest if needed to accommodate the width of the carseat.

I've found that it's a good idea to practice the lap belt installation beforehand (if that's not your usual mode of installation in the car) so that you're not doing for the first time when you board the plane.

Also, some folks reported difficulty UN-buckling the seat on the plane because the latchplate ended up in the middle of hard plastic belt path "tunnel". If that is the case for you, just make sure that you give the belt a half-twist or ask the flight attendant for a seatbelt extender.

The Scenera is very commonly used on planes -- it is lightweight and relatively compact, and it's always nice to have a spare seat at Grandma's if you visit often. However, rear-facing installation can be tricky with this seat (e.g. requiring pool noodles underneath to get the right recline angle), so it might take you some extra time when your mom picks you up at the airport.

And then you'd still need something onboard. CARES can be a nice option, but 14 months is really on the small side for being able to sit unassisted for the whole flight and not slip down (as CARES does not have a crotch strap). It also doesn't do anything to make the lap belt fit any tighter.

hanners

I love our Cosco Scenera for travel. Have used it on an airplane several times. Have used our Graco MR65 twice on a plane and both times it got stuck. The flight attendant had to take the seat belt out of the seat. That was FF. I know you can use a seat belt extender, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC