News NTSB Urges Child Seats On Planes

ADS

Athena

I find it completely shocking that we haven't closed this safety loophole. Unfortunately, like putting 6-8yos in seat belts once the law allows it, parents assume it's actually safe to fly with an unrestrained baby because if it wasn't, it wouldn't be legal.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I understand why it's so hard to require car seats for infants (so many conflicting financial interests), but I don't see what would be so difficult about requiring them for kids in the 2-4 range who have to be purchasing tickets anyway.

It seems to me like the airlines shouldn't have too much difficulty providing car seats for kids in this age range if the parents can't or won't supply their own. At the very least it would start phasing in the "idea" that kids should be in car seats on planes.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I understand why it's so hard to require car seats for infants (so many conflicting financial interests), but I don't see what would be so difficult about requiring them for kids in the 2-4 range who have to be purchasing tickets anyway.

It seems to me like the airlines shouldn't have too much difficulty providing car seats for kids in this age range if the parents can't or won't supply their own. At the very least it would start phasing in the "idea" that kids should be in car seats on planes.

I totally agree. How many car seats are not FAA approved anymore? Seems like if there was more of a push that "this is just what is appropriate on planes" parents would be more inclined to bring their own -- for the same reason that there is a big push to not trust the rental car seats.

MotoMommaNH

I feel like at least around here most people automatically assume kids are in boosters at age 4. My boss just stuck her 4 year old in a LBB. And boosters arent OK on planes so....

But that's not to say you couldn't start with a policy change for say 1-3 year olds. I mean who are they kidding....no 18 month old I know is a "lap baby" by any stretch of the imagination.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC