OUTGROWING the Radian at 5YO ?!?

canadianmom2three

Ds just turned 5 a month or so ago. He has been on the top slots of the Radian for about 6 months now, and has been approaching even...today (in shorts and t-shirt) he was OVER :eek::eek::eek:. I thought I would at least get a full year of use out of the seat! I know it can be used over, and I apparently will be using it over, since he requires some serious work to get him ready to be a full time booster user.

What do you think my other options are? As far as I can see, there are none. He has no medical reasons to require an 86Y, and there is no way I can either afford, nor justify buying a US seat for him, but I am so not ready to have him in the booster!!! Grrrrr time to stop feeding the kid (he hardly eats anything anyway, he's so picky - why is he growing up so FAST:crying:)

Last edited:
ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Sorry to hear that. :eek: I don't think you have any other options other than the ones you've already mentioned.

Maybe start some heavy booster training?

Aprilmom

Wow, he must have a long torso! My 8yo still fits but he is all leg. You may be able to get the 86Y by claiming "immaturiaty".

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Ds just turned 5 a month or so ago. He has been on the top slots of the Radian for about 6 months now, and has been approaching even...today (in shorts and t-shirt) he was OVER :eek::eek::eek:. I thought I would at least get a full year of use out of the seat! I know it can be used over, and I apparently will be using it over, since he requires some serious work to get him ready to be a full time booster user.

SK says that you can use the Radian with shoulders 1" over the top harness slots. There are some debate over this, but that's what SK says and you can explore that option and see if it's something you would be comfortable using the Radian to that height.

canadianmom2three

I think I am going to go ahead and continue to use the Radian but at the same time, start putting him in the booster sometimes, and doing some serious teaching of good booster riding. I had him in it last night with just he and I, and he was great, but then today for a 5 minute ride with all the kids, he was a nightmare - all over the plac, totally out of the shoulder portion and turned way around UGH. I need to find a better booster too, like the parkway (which is virtually impossible around here, will have to look online), the confidence is waaay too roomy for him, and I'm not fussy on the turbos anymore really. Maybe we can hold off till Feburary and try out the manchester.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC