Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

What should a 4 year old sit in on a plane?

So far, we've always had our 4 year old (42 inches, 42 lbs) in his car seat on flights, but he was very cramped on the last flight he took. At what age/size do you stop using car seats on planes? What do you use instead to keep them safely in their seats? A booster? Just the seat belt? Or something else entirely? Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Re: What should a 4 year old sit in on a plane?

At 4y, my kids need a harnessed seat on the other end, so I schlep the carseat. You can't use a belt positioning booster on the plane. If I had a trusted carseat at my destination, I would probably be fine with just the lapbelt on the plane at 4y.

The CARES harness is another option on the plane.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

It depends if I need a harnessed seat on the other side of my trip. If I'm flying to my parents (who have a seat for me) then at 4, I may consider just the airplane belt if it was a short flight. For longer flights or if I'll need a harnessed seat on the other end, I may as well being it on the plane. :-)
    Mama to Baby Girl N - two years old
    Loving Stepmother of wonderful girls, H-9 and S-5

Carseat Crazy

Re: What should a 4 year old sit in on a plane?

I'm curious about this too. What if you expect the child to sleep on the plane? Will they be ok in just the seat belt?
    Megan, mama to Genevieve (7/09) booster, Kristoffer (2/12, 37lbs, 45") ffing Nextfit, and Theodore (9/14, 27lbs, 36") rfing Marathon CT. Expecting #4 6/30, will be riding in a Snugride30.