i cant afford a safe care seat

T

tiffw101

i live in oregon and have talked to every source i can find for a free car seat for my 1 year old i cant afford one currently and the one i have is out dated and does not actually fit correctly in the car i have any sugg?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have a walmart nearby? They sell the Cosco Scenera for forty dollars, and it's extremely safe, fits most cars and will easily fit a 1 year old. But try www.safekids.org to find a local inspection station or cps tech or check event where they may have free seats.

wow $40 for a car seat? Lucky You!

That same seat here in NZ retails for $199.99. The cheapest ive seen a (new) car seat new here is $54.99 and that is a half booster.

Maeve

Call your county office and ask about a reduced-price carseat for low income families. Like other states, Oregon offers that option if the Walmart seat is too expensive for you to pay. You also might want to contact a local women's or children's organization to see if they offer new ones free. Many of them do. Try your local United Way and they might be able to help you find an organization that could help you.

Good luck,
Maeve

Wineaux

Farmer's Insurance, if you are a customer, has been running a free car seat/booster program. If you don't use them for car insurance, you might want to call them for a quote and ask about getting a free seat. Let us know if they are still offering this program if you do contact them.

Mom to a few

Our local police department provides free or significantly reduced-price seats (I think about $10) for families who need it. Sometimes at seat check events, they'll give out free seats to those who need it, or coupons for some % off a new carseat. Hopefully someone on this site lives in Oregon, and will be able to give you information that is specific to your area. I hope you are able to find a seat that fits your child and vehicle soon!

StarrNanny

I was going to suggest all the same things these guys did.

If you can afford the Cosco Scenera from walmart this is a good thing since you can keep your baby rear facing in it for quite some time, which is much safer.

cpsaddict

I live in Oregon, near Portland, and when I have done checks with ACTS Oregon we have had Cosco Tourivas to give out. I would call them. Here is the info.

Alliance for Community Traffic Safety
www.actsoregon.org

I am not sure where you are, but I found car seat checks in several counties this weekend. Most of them mentioned car seats for low income families. Take your child, your old car seat and the car. More than likely they will not let you leave without a safe car seat.

scatterbunny

I am also in Oregon. My local county health department/WIC office has free or low-cost seats (Cosco Scenera for a 1 year old) for those who qualify based on income.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC