Mad at my school district now

bethng

I posted a while back about one of my special needs students getting to use one of the new safeguard seats made for buses. It fit him great! I posted pics and such. Anyway...he got on a new bus route...and is on a new bus. So new bus pulls up yesterday with 2 convertable car seats in them. Both with 40lb weight limits. This child is at least 42lbs. I tell the driver he is too big for these seats (older man..about 60). He says "what do you mean?" grrrr....I explain that the seat only holds a child to 40lbs and show him the sticker on the seat. I also put him in the seat and showed him that the harness straps were below his shoulders and had to be above. then I shook the seat and it was in there sooo loose! He gets all pissy with me and says "I am sorry Mrs.____ but that is all I have and I need to leave NOW! So there was not much I could do at the time but put my little guy in this seat he was too big for, straps not adjusted right and seat too loose. I went back to my classroom and emailed the director of transportation for special services. Never heard back from her today. I go to put my student on the bus this afternoon and the same two stupid seats are there. Driver says that he talked to grandma (student lives with grandma) and that is the same seat that grandma uses (SO??? ) and that they dont have any extra safeguards left to use as they only bought 9 and they "were very expensive". I told him that I had emailed the director and suggested a few seats that would harness past 40lbs that were not near the prices of these special safeguards but never heard back. So off he went again in a seat he was too big for with straps below his shoulders. :thumbsdown: My assistants think I am being a bit anal about this. Think its not such a big deal. I NEED some crash test links of dummys that are over the limit of weight for a seat and what can happen...and/or what happens when the straps are not in the right spot. do they exist? I need back up! This driver thinks I am a total B#$@ch and just trying to make his job harder.

ADS

scatterbunny

Bumping up. I have no advice. :( I don't know of any videos showing dummies over the weight limit or shoulders over top slots. It's common sense to follow the weight limits on the seats, otherwise straps might rip out. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this! Don't give up.

skaterbabs

You want to use the magic "L-word". LIABILITY. The child's guardians can sue the school system and the driver if anything happens.

bethng

You want to use the magic "L-word". LIABILITY. The child's guardians can sue the school system and the driver if anything happens.

yes I did use the L word. They still think I am just being stupid. But he wont ride in this car seat much longer. They know I expect them to do something about it soon. Doesnt help that grandma thinks its just fine as she uses the same seat at home...which of course maxes out at 40lbs. I am going to contact her next to inform her of this. I need to help her get a seat for him that fits. He CANT sit in a booster. He is a weeble wobble. He wont sit up very often. So I am going to see if I can start the process on getting him a special need seat for home.

didymama

can you go through the kyle miller foundation for home? maybe help her install it/ point her in the direction of techs/here. not sure what seat would be best for them, but that might be a good route! so wish i could help.

Momto1bigkiddo

You are wonderful to be advocating for this child's safety!! :love:

I hope you recieve some good advice here, I am sorry I really don't have any for you. I am just so impressed that you are talking to the driver and the special services director of transportation about this. I am sorry they think you are being over-the-top, that always makes me so mad. :(

bethng

can you go through the kyle miller foundation for home? maybe help her install it/ point her in the direction of techs/here. not sure what seat would be best for them, but that might be a good route! so wish i could help.

I will try that if I cant get anywhere with my union. They have a program where teachers can buy items such as clothing or shoes for a student in need and they will reimburse us. I have used it before but never for a car seat! lol He may also qualify for a special needs seat and Medicaid may pay for that. I have a few options still! Gotta get the bus issue taken care of too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC