Next seat to buy?

sdjeppa

I can't decide what seat to get DS! Its driving me crazy, and DH is so tired of listening to me, I am coming here for help. I know you all will understand, and maybe offer some insight...

Background -DS just turned 4, is about 42+ inches tall, and almost 40 lbs (he's been about 39ish for a couple months). He is in an MA in my car (Toyota Highlander) and a Cargo in DH's car (Honda Element), which means he's about to outgrow it. Depending on how upright the MA is, he has about an inch before he's over the top slot. We love the MA, hate the Cargo. He's in DH's car more now than he used to be, so almost 50/50. We also have a 94 Chevy Xcab pickup that we use rarely. DS is in the center in the back in one of his seats installed with lapbelt.

1 - get a Regent for my car, move the MA to DH's. Pro- he won't outgrow it soon. Love Britax seats. Cons: HATE the covers currently offered. Seat is HUGE, and I probably can't fit him in the center of the Highlander. Leaves only the MA for travel, which means checking the seat, which I hate to do, or also buying a booster in a few months to travel with. We don't travel a lot, but often enough to have to deal with it. Has installation issues.

2. Get a radian for DH's car. Pro - cheaper, folds for storage/travel, not as huge as regent. Lasts 8 years so can be passed down (we haven't ruled out having a 2nd child). Would last long enough to maybe see what other HWH seats come out in the next few years. Con - installing it in other vehicles can be a problem. Won't last him as long as a Regent. Is this seat taller than the MA? I worry about him up against the back window in the truck.

Sorry for my rambling. Advice? WWYD?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Man...why can't Britax make a combo seat that harnesses to fifty pounds and becomes a good booster? Wouldn't that be just the thing? :)
My dd fit in the Radian till she was forty nine inches and seven years old (typing at night, easier to type numbers than find number keys, lol)....she outgrew the Marathon at forty five inches and six years old...so the RN does last longer... a bit... I think it sits lower than the MA, should work in the truck, and should be a nice low profile seat in the Element...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Taller than the Marathon you have the Radian, the new Recaros, and the Regent.

Why would you check a Marathon on a flight?

I'd head to BRU and see if the Regent works well for you guys. If it does I'd go with that one. The Radian will work as well provided you get a good installation. It travels really well, we use ours mostly for travel.

We have a Wizard, which is the same size as the Marathon with Piper having an inch to go on the harness. We have a Radian which she has a ton of time in harness wise and we use for travel. I want to get her a Regent when she outgrows the Wizard as she's a peanut and I want her harnessed for life. So if I was in your shoes I'd probably head for the Regent and use the Marathon on the plane and at your destination.

Wendy

sdjeppa

For the last year, when we fly, we have gate checked or checked the seat in a carseat bag, even though I hate doing it. Our last flight with the seat was a DISASTER. He kicked the seat in front of him the whole time unless we held his feet down, because he just did not have any leg room. They just sit up too high. The radian might not be bad since it sits lower...but I would really prefer carrying it on, and then after that getting the Compass booster that can be carried on too.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Radian sits very low, the tray is usable. Plus you can use the FFing foot and tilt the seat back with the plane's seat and still have it installed well.

Are the Regent AND the Radian out of the question? ;-)

Sounds like a Radian then. You can buy it from Target.com and if you have any troubles you can return it to any Target store. It has 18" top slots, only an inch above the Marathon, but Sunshine Kids apparently allows for the shoulders to go over the top slots by an inch. So if you're comfortable with that you can get two more torso inches out of a Radian than a Marathon.

Wendy

sdjeppa

A Regent AND a Radian? For now, yes, not happening LOL. We already have our beloved MA. :)

We went to USA Baby (love that store - they have EVERY cool seat!) to try out both. DS just fit better in the Regent, and actually wanted the Onyx cover...does it fade much? It wouldn't be in direct sun from the back window (both are SUVs) and both have tinted windows...

Anyone in San Diego want to let me "rent" a Radian or Safeguard Go for the 2 trips we have planned next year??? ;) Just kidding. I figure by the time he turns 5 next year, I won't have a problem getting a Compass B510 for traveling...(loved that seat too! :D)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC