91 GMC pickup reg cab - no tether attachment - Canada

Sjado

I have a 91 gmc pickup regular cab with a bench seat. My son is currently RF but he is needing to be turned around soon as he is reachin the height and weight limit for RF. There is no place to attach a tether to. I'm in canada. Have talked to transport canada. Talked to fmg. There used to be a kit to add it, but hey don't sell them anymore.
Someone suggested welding a piece and attaching it thru the seatbelt bolt
Does anyone have any other suggestions (buying a new vehicle is coming soon, but not soon enough)? Or know where I can get information on the kit so I can take it to the person that welds to make me one?
Thanks!

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Can you share the height, weight, and age of your child, and also what seat exactly s/he is in? It's possible you may be able to rear-face and then switch directly to a booster seat.

Another option is to get a part number from Chevy and see if you are able to track down the retrofit part elsewhere. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay, etc., but I'd want to try to find the actual manufacturer-approved part in proper packaging.

Sjado

Can you share the height, weight, and age of your child, and also what seat exactly s/he is in? It's possible you may be able to rear-face and then switch directly to a booster seat. Another option is to get a part number from Chevy and see if you are able to track down the retrofit part elsewhere. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay, etc., but I'd want to try to find the actual manufacturer-approved part in proper packaging.
I'll get the name of car seat and measure and weigh my child again and re post. Thanks!

Keeanh

If you could rear-face to booster age, that would be ideal. Otherwise you do what you have to do. Are you able to slide the seat forward and find where the kit is supposed to be installed?

Did you get a part # from GM so you could look online?

If you have a really big scrapyard around, you could ask if they have any of your generation pickups (remember the Chevy is the same truck) and if you can check them for anchors. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

If it was my truck and I had exhausted all resources for getting the proper kit, I would honestly be okay with a DIY anchor installation with whatever anchor kit I could get my hands on. Either welding or drilling into a structural part of the body. Something is better than nothing. I have also tethered by simply hooking the tether clip around the bottom of the bar that the seatbelts are anchored to (assuming you have such a thing). No, it's not "proper", but again, better than nothing and I can't imagine how it would fail. When my older kids were born there were quite a few 80's vehicles in the family and you were supposed to take the anchor that came with your car seat to your mechanic so he/she could drill a hole and bolt the thing in. Of course car seats no longer come with tether anchors (a shame, really, I had quite a collection going LOL), but they can still be found.

Long, long shot... did you check your glove box for a kit? Sometimes vehicles came with one kit tossed in there. Our 97 Mazda Protege did.

Sjado

Can you share the height, weight, and age of your child, and also what seat exactly s/he is in? It's possible you may be able to rear-face and then switch directly to a booster seat. Another option is to get a part number from Chevy and see if you are able to track down the retrofit part elsewhere. Sometimes you'll find them on ebay, etc., but I'd want to try to find the actual manufacturer-approved part in proper packaging.

My son is about 38" tall, about 38lbs and is three years old. The car seat is the alpha omega.
I have the part number. There's been nothing at the wreckers or any of the dealerships across canada :(
I'll have to try eBay! Thanks again!

Sjado

If you could rear-face to booster age, that would be ideal. Otherwise you do what you have to do. Are you able to slide the seat forward and find where the kit is supposed to be installed? Did you get a part # from GM so you could look online? If you have a really big scrapyard around, you could ask if they have any of your generation pickups (remember the Chevy is the same truck) and if you can check them for anchors. It's a long shot, but worth a try. If it was my truck and I had exhausted all resources for getting the proper kit, I would honestly be okay with a DIY anchor installation with whatever anchor kit I could get my hands on. Either welding or drilling into a structural part of the body. Something is better than nothing. I have also tethered by simply hooking the tether clip around the bottom of the bar that the seatbelts are anchored to (assuming you have such a thing). No, it's not "proper", but again, better than nothing and I can't imagine how it would fail. When my older kids were born there were quite a few 80's vehicles in the family and you were supposed to take the anchor that came with your car seat to your mechanic so he/she could drill a hole and bolt the thing in. Of course car seats no longer come with tether anchors (a shame, really, I had quite a collection going LOL), but they can still be found. Long, long shot... did you check your glove box for a kit? Sometimes vehicles came with one kit tossed in there. Our 97 Mazda Protege did.

I have some what looked. I didn't notice anything from what I could tell. I should try to see again bc I'm sure there's a spot in the middle of the seat.
I did look in the glove box and didn't see anything. We aren't the original owners either.
I just need to save up and get something with a back seat and the proper hook ups!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC