Problems with Cybex Aton base install with seatbelt?

oakster

I'm increasingly curious about the issues we had with our Aton base installation, since the recent CR review identified exactly the issue we had--and then the Car Seat Lady response to this was that they had never encountered this problem in many, many installs. So--now I'm really wondering about its causes.

Here's the basic problem we had: when the base was installed with a seatbelt, it was extremely difficult to close the latch plate because the thickness of the seatbelt plus LATCH belt (which is pre-threaded and not removable) was, basically, thicker than the plate could accommodate, no matter how loose the seatbelt was. We pushed with all our might and this worked initially to close the plate and lock the base, but at some point the latch plate started to pop open on its own or simply not close at all, so it became more than just an annoyance. At that point we started working with Regal Lager CS (who, btw, are terrific!) and sent a number of photos during that conversation, etc.--so I'm 99% sure we were installing the base correctly. Based on the CR description, this is exactly what they encountered, too. Installing the base with LATCH was easy peasy, but I remember thinking it was funny that they advertised it as "easiest base to install" when it was so hard to do with the seatbelt (and also how nice it would be that when we got it out again for kiddo #2, we'd be installing with LATCH instead!)

Regal Lager ultimately replaced our base in case the issue was a problem with the latch plate mechanism, but the new one had the same problem; we ended up just transitioning to a convertible anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Before the CR article, I'd never seen any mention of this, so it sounds like it's an uncommon problem--but when I read that, my first thought was "finally, validation!"

Has anyone else encountered this with seatbelt installations of the Aton base? And any thoughts on why this might occur in some cars but not others? Is there ever variation in the thickness of seatbelts from manufacturer to manufacturer (or in older vs. newer cars), or is that standardized?

We still loved the seat for its other assets (especially the compact size and the ease of the base-less install, the main reasons we chose it) but I would love to know whether the problem with the base had to do with user error, our car, the base design, or what...any ideas?

FWIW, this was an original Aton installed in a 2001 Toyota Prius with a center shoulder seatbelt.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I had an Aton for a while and never had that problem. However, seatbelts do vary in thickness, so that could be the issue.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Interesting!

I only installed with the seatbelt once -- in a Grand Caravan Stow and Go rental van. It was definitely more complex with the belt than latch, but I assumed that was just because I was unfamiliar with the way the sestbelts are mounted in the third row of that vehicle. I did get a secure install, it was just more confusing than I had expected.

My first thought was that you removed too much slack from the seatbelt, before pushing down the plate, but I assume you troubleshooted that?

I was actually planning to install it in the center of my Honda Accord today, so I will let you know how that goes.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you try spreading the seat belts out a little so they weren't layered on top of each other? With some lockoffs, I've found that technique helps close them with thicker belts. I didn't have problems with the Aton, but didn't have thick belts to try with it either. I can totally see the problem happening though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are you sure there was not just a little too little slack? Every time I've had a difficult time with that base, I add back in a little extra slack, and it closes easily (and is still tight), but I'm willing to believe that very thick seatbelts could cause a problem.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The OP said it wouldn't work, no matter how loose the belt was, so I'm guessing that wasn't the problem though it was my first thought, too.

oakster

Nope, loosening didn't help much in our car, for whatever reason (though I think that was Regal Lager's initial suggestion too). Our car is somewhat uncommon so I could totally believe that there are rarely/never any Aton installs in it, and maybe there's just something weird about our belts (though I'd also be surprised if Toyota didn't use the same belts in other similar models...who knows!) I can't remember if we tried spreading the belts out--will have to play with it when we get the seat out again to see if that makes a difference. I know we did try a makeshift wannabe-Euro routing of the belt with just the lap portion in the plate and that did close fine, but it was also clearly wrong based on the manual and videos they had at the time!

Luckily we plan to use LATCH this time anyway, but puzzles me nonetheless. :)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Nope, loosening didn't help much in our car, for whatever reason (though I think that was Regal Lager's initial suggestion too). Our car is somewhat uncommon so I could totally believe that there are rarely/never any Aton installs in it, and maybe there's just something weird about our belts (though I'd also be surprised if Toyota didn't use the same belts in other similar models...who knows!) I can't remember if we tried spreading the belts out--will have to play with it when we get the seat out again to see if that makes a difference. I know we did try a makeshift wannabe-Euro routing of the belt with just the lap portion in the plate and that did close fine, but it was also clearly wrong based on the manual and videos they had at the time!

Luckily we plan to use LATCH this time anyway, but puzzles me nonetheless. :)

I have always wanted to try a makeshift Euro-routing with the base!

I just installed it in the center of our Honda accord with minimal issues. The angle of the shoulder belt always befuddles me, but the seat installed fine overall.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
FWIW - I had problems with the Aton base in my Freestar minivan which does have thicker seatbelt webbing. The tensioning plate didn't pop open but it was difficult to close. Then again, I never had the base installed for more than a few minutes either so who knows...

For the record, I can't get the new generation Britax lockoffs to clamp over these belts either.

oakster

FWIW - I had problems with the Aton base in my Freestar minivan which does have thicker seatbelt webbing. The tensioning plate didn't pop open but it was difficult to close. Then again, I never had the base installed for more than a few minutes either so who knows...

For the record, I can't get the new generation Britax lockoffs to clamp over these belts either.

Interesting--we have a G3 Marathon in our car now. The lockoff is challenging to clamp down but does lock with enough force. The harder part is often getting it to release. But I've never installed that particular seat in another car, so no idea how easy or difficult it is supposed to be to get it to clamp.

The popping open problem in our Aton base didn't develop till we'd been using it for six months or so, as I recall--we had taken it in and out a number of times at that point, so my best guess was that something in the latch plate suffered from doing the tight seatbelt install too many times. RL had us send it back to them for evaluation, but no clue if anything ever came of that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC