advice needed!

CMeMeC

A family member has asked to borrow my car and will be taking their 1 year old (as in 12 months and 2 days) in it. She is forward facing. How do I handle this, specifically if I am asked to put the seat in or let her use mine? I am not ok with it, but it isn't illegal or my child. I dont want any part of it, but I don't want to piss her off either. She already knows that rf is safer, I have already gone there unsuccessfully.

ADS

MotoMommaNH

ehh wow that's kind of a tough situation...

I'd say if you are asked to put the seat in or to let her use yours, that's something you can say - "My car (my seat), my rules. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something were to happen with your precious baby."

If she's just using your car, that's tough. I mean you can stick to your guns (you are doing her a favor after all), but are you afraid of alienating this family member?

aept

Ooh, tough one. I don't honestly know that I would have the guts to speak up about it.
Assuming you/your insurance are liable should anything happen to them while she was borrowing the car, you could always bring that up as part of your "excuse" as to why your niece should be rf in your vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

CMeMeC

Grandparents are borrowing it to take my kids and their other grandkids. Mine will be in their seats. Baby is the only one I am concerned about. It makes me sick to see them in their car, let alone mine. I wont be with them. Parents do not want my "over protective" advice, but what if something happens while she is in my car even if not in my care?

CMeMeC

I have now been asked to provide a seat. Yikes. I think they are just going to have to play by my rules.

MotoMommaNH

Yep, your seat makes it easier IMO. No way on earth Id install my seat FF for a 1 year old family member.

Either way, I'm sorry you have to deal with the ignorance. Maybe the little one will be so happy and comfy for the ride, she'll be convinced to change her back RF!

CMeMeC

That wont happen. She is ff, and has been for a while, because it is easier to hand her food, etc. I am seriously stressed over this. I think I am just going to leave my car and kids and walk away. She will turn my seat around and screw it up if she doesnt break it in the process, so I think I will just not provide a seat and not watch the horrendous install job. At least it is her seat and her handy work if something happens. At least I can pretend like I dont see it in their car.

CMeMeC

If it were the other way around, I wouldn't expect someone to provide and install a seat for my kids just because I dont want to be inconvenienced with taking out and reinstalling my own. Frustrated!

jjordan

Your seat definitely makes it easier. "Sure, Susie can borrow a car seat. I already installed it for you; this one needs to go rear facing. This is how you adjust the harness and this is how you can tell that it is tight enough. Any questions?"

CMeMeC

Turns out she didn't care what she rode in. She actually said "yeah, whatever is fine." Figures. She used my rear facing seat, but didnt adjust anything so I did. At least she was safe if only for today.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC