Highway travel today - which booster?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Travelling in a small, lightweight car. 2014. Great crash test ratings from IIHS (even has a good in small overlap) and NHTSA. But it's still a small, lightweight car.

Oobr for it's magnesium frame in protecting from instruction and solid headrest for crushed roof protection?

New Parkway for it's safe cell and SG clip to protect against forward movement and submarining.

ADS

T4K

Whichever is most comfortable to the rider would be my first priority. Then second priority would be cover selection to match vehicle and other seats. :p

To me, both are great boosters in a good car so that part is a toss up.

1mommy

Aren't frontal impacts more common then side impacts and roll overs? And most side impacts partially frontal as well? So playing the odds game I would lean towards Parkway. Unless of corse the child has an opinion about which seat they want.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Whichever is most comfortable to the rider would be my first priority. Then second priority would be cover selection to match vehicle and other seats. :p To me, both are great boosters in a good car so that part is a toss up.

Ha ha! She has never complained in either but I'll ask her if she has a preference. They both look excellent in this vehicle. :D and both look excellent near the Fucsia Peg.

Aren't frontal impacts more common then side impacts and roll overs? And most side impacts partially frontal as well? So playing the odds game I would lean towards Parkway. Unless of corse the child has an opinion about which seat they want.

Good point. I was thinking rollover for some reason...but this is a double lane highway (single lanes going opposite directions and a small gravel shoulder is super common where I live. We don't have the big, multi lane interstates all travelling same direction)

I say the Oobr, as long as Technokid will be comfy enough.

She's used the Oobr for every other highway trip we've made in our other vehicle and not once complained. Last one was a year ago though so she is taller now which could make a difference. It's does have the recline option for a nap...although she seems to nap fine in either seat when upright.

msg221

How does she (and you!) like the new PW? I was looking at that one for Nour as well, for in her mom's new car (2014 Highlander). She is going to be 6next month, and has been in a backless booster for a few months now, in mom's car. It's a long story, but mom is fine with putting them back in a HBB now so I'm trying to find something. The belt fit is good in the Oobr I have, but would the SG be a little better protection, especially for a kid who still has to be reminded to sit up properly? Going back to a harnessed seat might not work either because mom can't remember how to reinstall the seats if they have to come out for some reason.

Lenae

How does she (and you!) like the new PW? I was looking at that one for Nour as well, for in her mom's new car (2014 Highlander). She is going to be 6next month, and has been in a backless booster for a few months now, in mom's car. It's a long story, but mom is fine with putting them back in a HBB now so I'm trying to find something. The belt fit is good in the Oobr I have, but would the SG be a little better protection, especially for a kid who still has to be reminded to sit up properly? Going back to a harnessed seat might not work either because mom can't remember how to reinstall the seats if they have to come out for some reason.

I know I'm not the person you asked, but here is my take. Nour is small and slender, right? So is Colton, and if he doesn't sit EXACTLY RIGHT in the Parkway, then the belt fit isn't great. I wanted to love the seat, but I just don't. So if I were you, I'd try the seat in person before buying.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My kid is square, 50%/50% for height/weight. LOL And the Parkway fits her awesome. She really doesn't need the SG clip for belt fit, but I like that it guarantees the lap belt fit (well when it isn't lengthening on its own :p) and that it provides a 4th point of restraint. The headwings are great for resting a head and no slouching happens.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I might choose a seat my child sleeps in better if I was going a long distance, but I not sure highway driving is so much more dangerous than city streets that it needs a special seat selection. despite the speed, you are trading off so many other risky driving maneuvers for the chance to go fast in a relatively straight line that the relative risks are pretty much equal.

I think you did your research and found two very safe seats that fit your child very well and that you can trust either one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC