Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: Mazda CX-5

Mazda CX-5

Anyone own a CX-5? I need to be able to fit 3 in the back comfortably. As in a rear facer, a booster rider and an adult. So I'd assume the adult would be best outboard since middle seats are typically uncomfy and the head restraint doesn't always go high enough to be useful.

The 3 in back isn't all the time but would be for highway trips. I'm worried it's going to be too small.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Okay found some dimensions and it seems to be 6" narrow in rear hip and shoulder room than our current vehicle which is barely acceptable so I think it's out. Sigh.

DH has one and it's a great little vehicle, but essentially only a 4 seated. The middle seat is so narrow I can't even get a BubbleBum in there correctly. The buckle is also wonky.

Attachment 24753

Here's one of DD in the back in a BubbleBum with 2 adults and I did NOT like the way the red clips clipped onto the seatbelt. I've tried a RF NextFit and a RF RA in the center and no go 😕

I really want to trade in my Mazda 3 (which is much easier to fit 3 across in) for a Mazda 5.
    Last edited by Ali; 04-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    DD Jan 2005
    RF to 3 1/2 years; Harnessed to 7 1/2 years; Now Boostered

5. Thank You from:

What was it about the RA that didn't work? If have a Peg in the middle but have a RA as well. (G3 not the original style). I don't see how it would ever work anyway as we're crowded in our bigger vehicle with the booster and the convertible, the convertible hangs into the outboard seat.

And if it's harder than the Mazda3, which we can't fit all 5 of in (a 2014) then there's no way this will work. Bah. I love the CX-5. And can't afford anything bigger.

I took some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. On the passenger side is DD's Frontier 80 in booster mode, then I set my nephew's RA in the center (tipped so you could see the base) then I just buckled it in outboard drivers side. He's not going to ride in it. We're just taking it to my brothers house to get it out of my house!

Attachment 24758

Attachment 24759

Attachment 24762

As you can see below it's about 9" side to side at the seat bight buckle to buckle and 10 inches of actual seat at the edge.

Attachment 24760

Attachment 24761

I really don't want to re-install DD's FR, but if I recall the base touched the plastic part of the buckles and pushed them outwards. I also know the weird extra buckle part (not sure what the purpose of that thing is) messed up the belt path on either the RA or the NextFit.
    Last edited by Ali; 04-16-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    DD Jan 2005

Re: Mazda CX-5

we test drove one a while ago with T's peg installed behind the passenger seat. I am short (5ft 1) and it was not comfortable. It would be ok for short trips but not for longer drives which we do all the time. Centre might be better but it was Jan and super cool so DH stuck it outboard for a quicker install.
    T - Mar/2012- 45lbs 42" FFing in a Pioneer
    A Dec/2015 Keyfit 30

Carseat Crazy

Re: Mazda CX-5

I think part of the issue with the CX-5 is that the backseat folds down in different ways depending on trim level. The Sport trim has a 60-40 split while the upper trims have a 40-20-40 split. The latter is more versatile for cargo, but I'm guessing that the center 20% section must be so narrow (from seatbelt to seatbelt) as to be almost impossible for most carseats -- as we're seeing in these photos above.

I had NO idea that the different trims had different fold down options for the backseat. I'm not certain of our CX-5's trim and DH has the car. Ours splits 40-20-40. The middle 20 is essentially useless. I don't think it would be as bad if it weren't for the wonky belt.
    DD Jan 2005