Mazda CX-5

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Anyone own a CX-5? I need to be able to fit 3 in the back comfortably. As in a rear facer, a booster rider and an adult. So I'd assume the adult would be best outboard since middle seats are typically uncomfy and the head restraint doesn't always go high enough to be useful.

The 3 in back isn't all the time but would be for highway trips. I'm worried it's going to be too small.

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Okay found some dimensions and it seems to be 6" narrow in rear hip and shoulder room than our current vehicle which is barely acceptable so I think it's out. Sigh.

Ali

DH has one and it's a great little vehicle, but essentially only a 4 seated. The middle seat is so narrow I can't even get a BubbleBum in there correctly. The buckle is also wonky.

View attachment 24753

Here's one of DD in the back in a BubbleBum with 2 adults and I did NOT like the way the red clips clipped onto the seatbelt. I've tried a RF NextFit and a RF RA in the center and no go 😕

I really want to trade in my Mazda 3 (which is much easier to fit 3 across in) for a Mazda 5.

Last edited:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What was it about the RA that didn't work? If have a Peg in the middle but have a RA as well. (G3 not the original style). I don't see how it would ever work anyway as we're crowded in our bigger vehicle with the booster and the convertible, the convertible hangs into the outboard seat.

And if it's harder than the Mazda3, which we can't fit all 5 of in (a 2014) then there's no way this will work. Bah. I love the CX-5. And can't afford anything bigger.

Ali

I took some pictures. Sorry for the poor quality. On the passenger side is DD's Frontier 80 in booster mode, then I set my nephew's RA in the center (tipped so you could see the base) then I just buckled it in outboard drivers side. He's not going to ride in it. We're just taking it to my brothers house to get it out of my house!

View attachment 24758

View attachment 24759

View attachment 24762

As you can see below it's about 9" side to side at the seat bight buckle to buckle and 10 inches of actual seat at the edge.

View attachment 24760

View attachment 24761

I really don't want to re-install DD's FR, but if I recall the base touched the plastic part of the buckles and pushed them outwards. I also know the weird extra buckle part (not sure what the purpose of that thing is) messed up the belt path on either the RA or the NextFit.

Last edited:

biddyk8

we test drove one a while ago with T's peg installed behind the passenger seat. I am short (5ft 1) and it was not comfortable. It would be ok for short trips but not for longer drives which we do all the time. Centre might be better but it was Jan and super cool so DH stuck it outboard for a quicker install.

cantabdad

I think part of the issue with the CX-5 is that the backseat folds down in different ways depending on trim level. The Sport trim has a 60-40 split while the upper trims have a 40-20-40 split. The latter is more versatile for cargo, but I'm guessing that the center 20% section must be so narrow (from seatbelt to seatbelt) as to be almost impossible for most carseats -- as we're seeing in these photos above.

Ali

I had NO idea that the different trims had different fold down options for the backseat. I'm not certain of our CX-5's trim and DH has the car. Ours splits 40-20-40. The middle 20 is essentially useless. I don't think it would be as bad if it weren't for the wonky belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC